We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Madeira

Brigg, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit to Madeira

Hi ....

My wife and I are flying to Madeira in 3 weeks time, staying at the Cliff Bay Hotel for 7 nights.

Really looking forward to our first ever visit to the island.

We don't plan to hire a car, we like to walk/stroll/take the sights in, stopping at nice restaurants/cafe's/ bars etc.

I have noted a few restaurants from the Trip Advisor, will probably pre-book Armazem Do Sal and Do Forte if possible.

Any trips recommended away from Funchal?

All replies passing on other ideas/tips/itineraries would be gratefully received.

Best regards

John & Karen

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Madeira

There are several very good trips to do around the Island. These Companies are very good and get lots of recommendations.

www.madeirahappytours.com There is an office about 5 minutes walk from the Cliff Bay (turn left out of the Hotel).

www.madeira-seekers.com

If you want to do dolphin watch, go down to the Marina in central Funchal and see what there is and book there. There are catamarans, traditional boats and Turkish gullet for these trips. Usually about €30 for 3 hours but discounts are common within the Marina.

You can do Porto Moniz from the bus stop across the road with Rodoeste leaves Funchal about 9.00am and returns 4.00pm from near the lava pools.

Take a walk along the coastal walk which begins near the Eden Mar shopping centre (about 15 minutes walk (left out of the hotel) below the Pingo Doce supermarket

The cable car from the Old town area takes you to Monte where there are gardens and a lovely Church to see. You can take a second cable car across to the Botanical gardens and then a bus back to the City.

The Old town has some interesting features,painted doors, good restaurants, the flower market and a lovely café overlooking the sea just past Riso restaurant, do a lovely smoked salmon sandwich.Barreirinha_Bar

I could go on and on but you will find your own favourites. Enjoy this beautiful Island, you are certain to return

Edited: 03 May 2014, 17:26
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Madeira

You have chosen a very nice hotel. We went to the Cliff Bay thinking it would be a one off and we have now been three times and are going back again later in the year. We find it a very relaxing hotel to stay in.

We like a restaurant called L'Osteria. You can walk up the steep street opposite the hotel and then turn left and keep walking until you reach it or you can turn left out of the hotel and walk along the road for about five minutes and then cross over and walk a shorter distance up hill to reach it. We also like the Forte and for a special meal Villa Cipriani which is part of Reids. If it is a warm evening it is really nice to sit outside on the balcony there.

We used Madeira Happy Tours and they have a wide variety of tours to choose from. We also enjoyed taking the cable car up to the gardens at Monte.

We still have quite a lot to discover in Madeira but are very happy to return to do so. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Madeira

I have stayed a good few times at the Cliff Bay and as Twigs says a great hotel with a fine staff.Re eating places cant really comment except to say i allways eat in the hotel food excellent.Re trips Happy Tours are excellent can book boat trips their own good tours plus my own favourite jeep trips in the mountains .Places to go Monte Porta Moniz with rock pools Santana i go on been as i said good a few times returning all going well in June and later in November to this great holiday island.

Brigg, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Madeira

Thankyou Flowercity, Twigs and Bob ....some great tips there ..... a little research and we will soon be off ..... can't wait.

John & Karen

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Madeira

We agree Madeira Happy Tours is very good, try the North Tour with Tino as driver and do include the lunch, All day tour and lunch brilliant value for money- we've done it twice and enjoyed both trips.

Brigg, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Madeira

Thankyou LadyLee ... will check it out.

best regards

John & Karen

Chester
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Madeira

Hi,

like you we will visit Madeira for the first time this year and one company I have found that looks quite good is Madeira Fauna and Flora. Happy tours gets positive reviews and Tropical Tours.

Keith.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Madeira

See my long list of things to see in the recent thread "What's worth seeing?"

You can click on my name to find that quickly.

Brigg, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Madeira

Thankyou Keith and Dutchguy .... appreciate your comments and advice.

best regards

John

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to Madeira

Trips away from Funchal: plenty choice!

10 reasons to spend some days in Calheta region-the largest in Madeira on the warmest, sunniest south west coast

1. Its the warmest and sunniest region going by weather statistics

2. It has the most natural beauty as it has the most forest including UNESCO

protected ancient Laurisilva forest in zones such as Rabacal

3. Top Ten walks and waterfalls including ’25 Fontes’ ‘Risco’ ‘PR19′ Coastal

and Forest sections of the longest levada walk in the region: Levada Nova

4. The most south western point of Portugal ‘Ponta do Pargo’ with the highest lighthouse in Portugal

spectacular sunsets and Birdwatching.

5. Ponta do Pargo Lighthouse the highest in Portugal

6. White sand beaches at Calheta Town, the capital

7. The Paul da Serra plain at 1300-1500 metres, the flattest location on the

entire island with fabulous view over lush green mountains and valleys. On

some days you can even see both the oceans on the north and south coasts

from the same location

8. World Class Surfspots at the historic fishing village: Paul do Mar and

Jardim do Mar. Also, Calheta is a great location for Paragliding and

Mountain biking.

9. One of the remaining 2 or 3 Rum factories still operating with a Museum:

Engenhos da