We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi overcharging

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi overcharging

I love madeira and the people but like anywhere there are a few rotten eggs. We found them amongst the taxi drivers. Where most were excellent some overcharged . We were charged 6euros into funchal and 10 euros out. I know it's not much but it leaves a rotten feeling when you know you are being done. Advice from our hotel receptionist was if you feel you have been overcharged don't argue just ask for a receipt and the hotel can then chase it up with the company and if necessary with the police. Wish I had thought of tha

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi overcharging

If you are travelling in the Funchal area the taxi must be on a meter so there should not be that much difference in the cost. If the meter isn't activated, say so and make sure it is used or get out of the car.

manchester
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi overcharging

Taxi was on a meter which jumped 2euros before we had moved 10yards, it was only after talking to others at the hotel that we realised how prevalent it was. This was our 6th visit to funchal and had never come across this before. We can speak a little Portuguese which surprised him and his excuses changed by the second when he realised that. He finally accepted less than he initially said. It was our last evening or I would have tried to do something about it

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi overcharging

My take on this is that Portugese salaries are among the lowest in West Europe and that everybody needs money for a good life.

I always give more than the meter says so as to not feel embarrassed about the low price. And I can always take the bus instead.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi overcharging

Taxi fares in Madeira have, for many years, been very reasonable and dutchguy I hear what you say about low wages in Portugal. I would rather pay a bit more by way of a legitimate across the board increase than be ripped off by a few unscrupulous drivers (and I think the unscrupulous drivers are in the minority in Madeira)

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi overcharging

I don't take many taxis so I'm no expert, but I was interested that the OP said the meter had jumped €2 before they'd even gone 10 yards. I was under the impression that there are some fixed charges regardless of distance travelled, for example the number of passengers, whether the boot is used for luggage/shopping, time of day/night/, whether the taxi was called rather than picked up at a rank. Could this explain the €2?

Flowercity's advice to ensure the meter is running is good, but can the meter fare be fraudulently increased once it's running? I don't know the answer.

We invariably tip our taxi drivers, especially if we've had helpful and friendly service. Our lane is narrow and a few drivers don't want to drive up it, but most do without comment and we reward appropriately.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi overcharging

I have allways found taxi drivers in Funchal honest but i dont dougt there are a few rouges some characters around the cable car spring to mind. As for low wages in Portugal good point Dutch Guy allways tip staff in cafes etc unless service was terrible [never happen in Madeira] dont use taxis much but when i have have found drivers honest and nice.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi overcharging

We got a taxi from the town centre a few days ago (with a boot full of our supermarket shop) & the meter started at €3. I assume that's a perfectly legitimate fixed charge, the same as you'd have in the UK.

funchal
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi overcharging

If I need a taxi I use a lot the taxi driver Mr.Rui Teixeira .

He ownes a Mercedes for 1-7 persones and he use to be near PortoMare and in front of Four Views Monumental Lido, he speaks English, French and German.

For people who needs a taxi here is his contact, phone: 00351 917842447 email : rmft64@hotmail.com

Edited: 06 June 2014, 11:49
9. Re: Taxi overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Funchal