We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Which Funchal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Time to start planning for next summer and having previously rented a villa in Calheta for Easter a couple of years ago we would like to try something more central next time with Funchal being the obvious choice.

We eat out every night and like good food but what concerns me is that having had a look through the restaurant reviews the photographs of the better restaurants all seem to show them as rather formal and to be honest I prefer T shirt, shorts and sandals on holiday.

Are they as formal as they appear or am I worrying about nothing?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Most restaurants both in and away from hotels prefer no shorts and sandals, there will be some who are not too bothered but definitely hotel restaurants prefer long trousers and shirts, not necessary ties, but depends on the hotel.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Been visiting for 10 years now and still hubby refuses to dress up as he calls it, never had a problem but I must say, we do tend to eat outside when ever possible. Having said that we were there for 1 week last March and it was quite cold at night so we ate inside every night. He as usual wore shorts, sandals and shirt and no probs.Hotels usually request smart casual but that just means long trousers and shirt.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Smart casual is what is expected at most restaurants for an evening meal . I am sure there are restaurants who would be grateful for your custom whatever you chose to wear ,but you may feel uncomfortable being the only one in shorts and sandals .

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Many thanks. I think I get the picture now

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

I am not sure if it is in general but I think restaurants tend to relax their requirements. The Main restaurant of Reid's Palace always demanded suit and tie and now only jacket OR tie is required, but long trousers of course and no T-shirts or sandals..

Edited: 21 August 2014, 16:35
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

As a rule I don't like eating in hotel restaurants as I had enough of that during the working week and prefer something much less formal as long as the quality of the food is good.

I have come to the conclusion that perhaps Funchal isn't for me and I would be more suited to the informality of Menorca

Chester
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

Hi Ian,

we went to Reid's in July and you had to dress up for the 1 evening meal we had but I wore tailored shorts to the restaurants all the other nights and nobody said anything. Don't miss out on Funchal the restaurants and food are great..

Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife is a smaller version of Funchal and less formal if you are looking for another destination.

Keith.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

I personally prefer to wear long trousers and (open neck ) shirt in the evening, I would say that shorts, Tshirts and sandals are probably tolerated rather than accepted in a lot of restaurants and as others have said you may feel a bit out of place if you were the only person attired in such a fashion.

Dress code in hotel restaurants has in fact become much more relaxed over the years. At one time all 5 star and some 4 star hotels insisted that gentlemen wore a jacket and tie in the evening - I know you said you do not dine in hotel restaurants Ian J but I post this to illustrate how dress codes have changed (and I am not suggesting that hotels should return to those standards)

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

We eat out a lot in Funchal, in all sorts of different restaurants, and I can't think of anywhere that's particularly formal. Portuguese people in general are fairly relaxed, and restaurant dress codes seem to reflect that. Sometimes I like to dress up, sometimes I don't, and I never feel out of place, but I would never go out looking as though I'd just come off the beach or come in from digging the garden.

We've eaten at Cipriani (part of Reids Palace) on numerous occasions, and in the summer I've seen gentlemen there in shorts and deck shoes on more than one occasion. I think it's more about general demeanour in restaurants than particular dress rules, whereas perhaps hotels are a little more strict. Do give Funchal a try Ian J - it's a wonderful cosmopolitan city with something for everyone, and I don't think you would be disappointed with a stay there.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 17:38
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code in Funchal restaurants

I do normally take a few smarter short sleeved shirts to wear in the evenings as my wife likes to dress up but I dropped a clanger this summer as I got side tracked whilst packing and forgot them and only took T shirts.

Luckily we went to Kefalonia this summer where everything is fairly informal

Get answers to your questions about Funchal