We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor food reviews at the Pestana

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Poor food reviews at the Pestana

Hello All,

I'm heading to the Pestana this summer for a first visit to Porto Santo. I'm regularly reading the reviews on the TA, and am growing increasingly concerned as each new review seems to mention tepid food and more recently, flies buzzing around the food in the main restaurant. I feel like most nights I'll end up eating out. I suppose my question is, is anything being done about this by the Management? Are these issues actively being addressed and if so, what is going on to make improvements? I think some feedback from Management / the Reps would really reassure people, as there seems to be a deafening silence at present with regards to Management Responses to reviews etc.and it just seems that nothing is being done as these issues have been ongoing for years. Worrying. I am really looking forward to visiting this island, but am kind of dreading the restaurant now.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

These are my worries too. The hotel manager seems able to comment on general queries on here yet not one word about the food complaints. This is a very expensive holiday -We stayed at the Riu Palace in Mexico for the same price! and I would begrudge having to eat out if the food in the hotel was that bad. Also beware, the beach bar is cheargeable, which I think is a disgrace.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

Dear Management.

My family and I are also booked to stay at your hotel in July. These posts, and the many others that have appeared reporting the same things, are extremely worrying. The responses from Management to other matters whilst ignoring those referring to food standard/flies appears to be a silent acknowledgement that things are not right. After seeking advice, Im going to wait seven days for your response and if nothing is posted I'll refer the matter to Holiday Travelwatch (http://www.holidaytravelwatch.net/) who have told me they'll intervene before my holiday starts to, hopefully, avoid disappointment. Thank you for your time and attention.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

What really worries me is some of the latest reviews comment on the blue bottle flies on the food. That is basic food hygiene and is unacceptable.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

I would agree. We booked on the strength of previous reports and go in JULY.

It is not a cheap holiday and we booked AI because reviews up to about may were encouraging. We expect for this price good food,good service and good range of drinks. As you say management responses must also engage with the negatives as well as the positives. Obviously they read these forums and obviously they are aware that some of us visiting in July are reviewers on trip advisor. It would be commercial suicide for the Pestana chain not to take comments about less than warm food, lack of variety and poor selection of cocktails very seriously. Just an acknowledgement that they are really seeking out a active and proactive response to these issues would be good. We are frequent travellers and do return to places or recommend to friends via this medium. Come on Pestana Porto Santo . Get you act together and shake up your food and cocktails!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

Dear Sirs,

First of all thank you for the opportunity to have contact with you before your arrival.

Regarding your concerns i inform :

1. The food in the hot displays is put with 65º, as of the Health & Safety rules. We have 14 different buffets it means that is impossible during 2 weeks of holidays to eat exactly the same.

2. In the main restaurant "Marés" we have a show cooking with chefs preparing hot meals at the moment and available to mix the ingredients like you wish.

3. In case you have food restrictions (vegetarian, alergies, ...) we always have other options on request, for that please contact our Food & Beverage Manager during check-in.

4. About the flies we have the appropriate equipment in the walls of the restaurant to prevent those problems, if for some reason someone saw flies please accept my apologise.

5. I take this opportunity to inform our outlets,

Buffet Breakfast : Restaurant Marés from 07:30 till 11:00

Lunch :

Dunas Bar with snack meals from 11:00 till 19:30.

Restaurant Marés with buffet from 12:30 till 14:30.

Dinner :

Restaurant Marés with buffet from 19:00 till 22:00.

Luigi, á la carte Italian restaurant from 19:00 till 22:00 (included)

Mediterrânico, á la carte restaurant from 19:00 till 22:30 (supplement of 17,50 per person, only for adults).

Bar :

Dunas bar from 10:30 till 22:00

Sunset Bar from 17:00 till 24:00

Disco from 23:00 till 01:00 (only saturdays)

Beach Bar from 10:30 till 19:00 (only soft drinks, water, beer and wine).

As attentive Guests in the TripAdvisor i'm sure you also read all the positive comments of other Guests about their experience at Pestana Porto Santo.

Because we care and we have a good product and service quality we are recognized by Guests feedback as 1st choice in Porto Santo.

Best regards,

João Martins

Hotel Manager

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

Thank you for this comprehensive reply. We are now much more positive about our holiday and as long as the cocktails are given some attention we will be happy!!!!

7. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2017, 23:00
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

well hopefully the hotel will keep an eye on us in the middle;e of July and beyond. Because we will post back on trip advisor.x

lancs
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

One latest review says snacks are payable at the beach bar-come on Pestana this holiday isnt cheap-surely these should be part of the all-inc?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poor food reviews at the Pestana

I certainly would agree to this!

Get answers to your questions about Porto Santo Island