We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Middle of May

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Middle of May

My friend and I are planning to book a holiday to Pestana Hotel this May 15th to May 20th. Before we book we would like to know what the weather will be like at this time of the year. Will it be warm enough to do a little sunbathing and wandering around. Or is it likely to be cloudy and changeable.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth

Edited: 14 January 2013, 17:19
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Middle of May

This site gives you the history of the weather for May 2012, may help you.........

wunderground.com/history/…WeeklyHistory.html

Using the Almanac you can also go back and check out weather conditions for previous years on the Island.

Ashbourne, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Middle of May

we had cloudy and changeable for our 2 week holiday there last year in july, as it is an island the weather is more variable.

durham
Level Contributor
194 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Middle of May

Hi Elizabeth. We were in Funchal last May (2nd and 3rd weeks). The weather was perfect for sunbathing - not too hot, and at no time did we need

a coat or brolly.

The thing that did blow us away was the stunning Jacaranda trees in full bloom. The avenues throughout Funchal were a sight to behold - absolutely beautiful. We normally go in September, but now prefer May.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 09:07
Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Middle of May

sheba38, the op was asking about Porto Santo, not Funchal...

durham
Level Contributor
194 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Middle of May

Oops! Do they have Jacarandas in Porto Santo flowercity?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Middle of May

no - nothing much at all in the way of flowers . very barren landscape. Best thing is the lovely beach !!!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Middle of May

Thank you all for the above replies. My friend and I have decided to chance it and have booked at the Pestana Hotel Porto Santo from 13 May to 20 May. Here's hoping for nice weather! We are looking forward to seeing the lovely beaches and therapeutic sand that we have read about and going on a jeep safari around the Island. Does anyone know what else we could if the weather is a little inclement?

Cheers!

Elizabeth

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Middle of May

Not much else to do unless your hotel has entertainment and games rooms. Island is very barren with some walks, but not much cover in rain. The beach is the attraction really. I know there are dolphin watch trips but May is early season so not sure what will be open. Not too many shops either.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Middle of May

as per flowercity post thats why I would thinkstaying in Funchal would be a better option you woud never be scratching round for something to do on the off chance weather is not too good

10. Re: Weather in Middle of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Porto Santo Island