We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun beds on the beach

Which Porto Santo Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wrexham Wales
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
sun beds on the beach

We have just booked for a week in september but I am sure I read somewhere that you have to pay for the loungers on the beach - is this the case??

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sun beds on the beach

It has been the case in the past - it is a public beach so I believe Pestana charge for sunbeds, if ypu look at the website you will see that sunbeds and parasols are chargable, (under leisure and services)

www.pestana.com/en/pestana-porto-santo-hotel

Edited: 03 February 2013, 18:47
London
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sun beds on the beach

For the price pestana charge for a day you can buy your own umbrella and put it anywhere on the beach. The sand is soft so you don't need loungers. A towel is fine.

Wrexham Wales
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sun beds on the beach

~Can you take the towels from the hotel - I am assuming here that they supply pool towels!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sun beds on the beach

Good afternoon,

Yes we supply the pool/beach towels and you can change them any time you want at the Spa reception.

Kind regards,

João Martins

Hotel Manager

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sun beds on the beach

I've never seen a sun bed on the beach. Lots by the different pools though

Wrexham Wales
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sun beds on the beach

thanks, wasn't sure with it being a public beach if there were any loungers on the beach or not. Some photo's show them and others don't!!

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sun beds on the beach

In summer, there are loungers on the beach in the part directly in front of the Pestana for the Pestana guests. They get taken away in the off season so this would explain the photos not showing them. There have also been loungers near the Fontina beach for the public to rent but only in the very high season.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sun beds on the beach

We went in Sep 2011 and there were sunbeds on the beach. IIRC it was 10 euros for two sunbeds under a parasol for the day. The advantage in them being charged is that they weren't being hogged and always some available.

Wrexham Wales
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sun beds on the beach

Thanks, but what happens when you want to go for lunch etc. can you keep them or do you lose them???

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sun beds on the beach

We only used them in the afternoon, but I see no reason why you'd lose them when you go for lunch. The guy on the beach will know if you've paid - which I think is charged to your room rather than paid in cash.

Get answers to your questions about Porto Santo Island