We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto santo to Funchal?

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Porto santo to Funchal?

Hello

I have been looking things up to do in porto santo and noticed that there is an Atlantic festival in Funchal with music and fireworks during the time I will be visiting.

Does anyone know if it's easy to get to Funchal? I would really like to go to this

Thanks Abi

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

You can fly (25 mins flight) or take the ferry but the ferry leaves Late afternoon Porto Santo so you would have to stay over to catch the fireworks. Well worth seeing though. These links may help

http://www.portosantoline.pt

www.aerovip.pt

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

Hi flowercity

I have a couple of questions, we fly to porto santo on Monday and would like to visit funchal but just for the day (2 small children in tow) which would be the best option?

Also, do you know roughly how much the flight costs??

Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

The airfare is expensive Flowercity will be able to help .The boat arrives Funchal in the evening you would have to spend i think 2 days in Funchal to make your trip wortwhile as ship leaves Madeira early in the morning plus overnight stays.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

I believe the basic airfare is 111 euros return !!!

Edited: 05 June 2014, 15:04
Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

Abi_h90 the Atlantic Festival fireworks are great, but I wouldn't think it was worth travelling over from Porto Santo to watch the display, both from a time and expense point of view. I would advise enjoying the island of Porto Santo for what it is - and it is very beautiful, and quite different to Madeira Island - and then some time in the future basing yourselves in Funchal, perhaps to coincide with The Atlantic Festival if you like fireworks.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

This is the site for the flights, cheapest is over €110 return.

aerovip.pt/en/…funchal-portosanto

I agree, the ferry is not an option, first because you would need two days and second it is used on the fireworks nights for dignitaries to watch the fireworks.

This is the site for the ferry, althought it does two trips on some days, it still doesn't help for fireworks.

http://www.portosantoline.pt

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

Thank you all, that's quite expensive as I assume that's per person! I shall just have to book another holiday instead :-)

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

yes it is for one person and the flight is only for about 20 minutes!!!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

Ouch!! Never mind, I'm sure we can occupy ourselves, especially with two children :-)

10. Re: Porto santo to Funchal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Porto Santo Island