We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specialities

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Specialities

Interested to try local dishes when we go to Porto Santo. I gather that octopus and black pork are regional specialities and that there are some good breads too.

Any other recommendations - food and drink wise please?

Cheers ♥️

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specialities

Black pork is an imported speciality from the mainland. Kebabs are a madeira's speciality and also a shellfish (Lapas).

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specialities

I'm not sure if local specialities in Porto Santo are the same as Madeira Island, but in Madeira there is a local pork dish - Carne Vinha d'Alhos - which is pork marinated and then cooked in wine and wine vinegar. People sometimes cook fish in a similar way. The local fish is espada, probably the same in Porto Santo.

I think Picado is a Madeiran speciality, a communal dish of beef which everyone at the table picks at. Espetadas - kebabs - are everywhere, but I don't think they're a regional speciality as you can get them all over Portugal.

Bolo de Caco is the delicious local bread, made with wheat flour and sweet potato, and Bolo de Mel is a local spicy sweet cake. I expect all these dishes are served in Porto Santo too. There are also Madeiran variations on typical Portuguese dishes like Feijoada, caldo verde, acorda, caldeirade, etc

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specialities

Thanks each. Looking forward to our forthcoming trip and hope to tick off one or two of your suggestions!

Cheers ♥️

4. Re: Specialities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Porto Santo Island