We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaves - Hot Springs

Belfast
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chaves - Hot Springs

Hi All,

I'm planning a holiday for next summer - I've been backpacking around Spain a few times but I've only real stayed in the Algarve in Portugal and my husband has never been anywhere outside of Barcelona (!!) so I thought it might be pretty cool to explore a bit more of Portugal this time round.

I love hot springs and have swum in them in California, the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, and the thermal lake in Heviz, Hungary so I love planning holidays to places where I can visit a thermal lake or hot springs etc :)

I've heard that there are good hot springs in Chaves in northern Portugal but when I looked it up on Wikipedia it says:

The hot springs, or Caldas, of Chaves, known all over Portugal, was formerly only a group of hot water springs. Today, after recent renovations, it is a modern thermal complex, receiving thousands of visitors every year, especially in the summer. Many small guesthouses in the old part of the town are dependent on the influx of these visitors, usually men, who come annually to take the water cure.

What gives? Is this a kind of male only type place? Has anyone been before and do you know if this is actually the case?

There are other hot springs in the general region - Carvalhelhos, Vidago, Pedras Salgadas, and Verín. Might these be better? Your advice greatly appreciated!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaves - Hot Springs

I'm afraid I know nothing about the springs themselves, though I was able to find the website: http://www.termasdechaves.com/

Unfortunately for you, the site is not available in English. However, if you look at the horizontal menu that reads left to right "A cidade / As Termas / Preçários...." and click on "As Termas" you will find an option that says "Galeria Fotográfica" which has some photos. For what it's worth, it's all women in the photo. I'm not sure whether this reassures you or not, but it's the best I can do!

Belfast
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaves - Hot Springs

Thank you very much!! We are debating between hot springs in Portugal or a lake cabin in Sweden/Finland - two pretty different holidays but both sound amazing!!

Thanks again for your help :)

3. Re: Chaves - Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 05:19