We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

PORTSMOUTH
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

My wife and I will be landing at Porto Airport about 0900 on Tuesday 30th. September '08 and need to get to Guimaraes for a 5 day break.

As the Airport is 15km outside Porto, will we have to go there first to get either a Train or Bus to Guimaraes which is 45km away.

Assuming there is no direct route from Airport to Guimareas I would consider a Taxi if it's no too expensive.......we do have plenty of time before getting our Hotel Room.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks

Ian McGregor

Portsmouth,England.

p.s. the real reason we are going is to see Portsmouth play Guimaraes in the EUFA Cup.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

If you’re not pushed for time, are travelling light, and don’t want to spend a lot of money, then it’s not terribly difficult to go by train.

Take the metro direct from the airport to Campanhã station in Porto. It’s direct, about fifteen stops and takes about 30 to 40 minutes. From there you can get a suburban train to Guimarães. That takes about an hour, Guimarães is at the end of the line, so there’s quite a few stops. The whole trip shouldn’t cost more than 4 or 5 euro per person.

For more info, take a look at the Porto metro website for the first leg of your journey

www.metrodoporto.pt

and the railway site for the second part

www.cp.pt

I wouldn’t know exactly how much a taxi is but I’d guess something between 70 and 100 euro. Should take about 30 to 40 minutes by motorway. Motorway tolls will be added to your bill.

Guimarães is a lovely old town, obviously you’ll be there for the football, but since you’ve got a few days, you should have a look around. Worth spending a day in Porto itself too.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

Sound advice from the previous poster. I used the train from Porto Campanha to Guimaraes and it cost me a whole 2.05 Euros, as Guimaraes is within the Porto suburban area network.

The station at Guimaraes is on that edge of town, so you might need a taxi at that end.

The ground is right is right in the middle of the city as I am sure you have found out.

On the CP website mentioned above, look for Urbanos, Porto for the complete Guimaraes times.

If the lift up to to 'mountain' is working do take a trip. Well worth it for the views.

I shall be watching the game on TV. Have a good trip.

PORTSMOUTH
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

Bom dia,

Thank you very much for replying to my enquiry, the information you have kindly supplied will help us a great deal.

We cannot get into our Hotel Room until 1400hrs, so landing at 0900 gives us plenty of time especially now with your assistance we know the Metro and Train systems are so good.

I looked at Porto when searching for a Hotel and it looked a lovely City, and we hope to visit on either the Friday or Saturday.

My problem now is to get tickets for the match, as it's the first time Portsmouth (POMPEY for short) have been in "Europe" the demand over here is enormous........I know people will be queuing for days !!. As my wife and I are now 60 years of age we are too old to be sleeping on the streets !!.

Once again many thanks for your help.

My very best wishes,

Ian McGregor

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

Just to underline where to find the Porto - Guimaraes train times

www.cp.pt

Click on teh little flag top centre if you want the site in English

Click on URBANOS, PORTO (or URBAN LINES, OPORTO)

You will get a list of lines, one of which is Porto - Guimaraes.

Click on that link and you will see among other useful items a link to either Horarios or timetables depending on which language you are operating in.

You can then view and download the local train times as PDF file, and print them as well.

Timetable notes are in English and Portuguese.

The one way fare by local trains from Porto Campanha to Guimaraes is 2.15 Euros and the journey takes 1hr 13 minutes. Bargain!

PORTSMOUTH
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

Many Thanks for your advice, I know have all the information I need, and what a good service between Porto and Guimaraes....... a Train every hour.

I could not believe the cost, in England a similar journey would be about 35 euros !!!.

My best wishes,

Ian McGregor

Portsmouth, England.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

Now all you have to do is hope Pompey play a little better than in the first leg.

BTW 930pm kickoff I see, so plenty of time to prepare for the evening!

I hope you enjoy your trip in more ways than one.

7. Re: Getting from PORTO Airport to GUIMARAES

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 07:36