We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

spain
Level Contributor
788 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

Hi ,

A chum and I are in town for the footie next week. We fly into the airport about noon from Madrid and intend to get the metro into the city centre to wander round for a couple of hours before going to out Hotel (The AC Porto) next to the Stadium.

Where would you suggest we get of the Metro and any cool bars and resturants we should be looking out for?

Can someone also confirm directions to the Hotel from the Stadium metro station , its the one at the end of the line (?) I understand.

All or any help greatfully recieved..

Sunshinebob.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

Welcome to Porto, but please have the decency not to repeat the result of the last time the two teams met!!!

If taking the metro, I would suggest getting off at Bolhão station which is in the central shopping area. There are no shortage of eating places in this neck of the woods, in and around the main shopping street, Rua Santa Catarina. You could hang out around here or walk down Rua da Santa Catarina to Praça da Batalha and on to Rua Augusta Rosa, where, using the same metro ticket, you can take the cable-car called “funicular dos Guindais” down to the waterfront. There are bars and restaurants on both sides of the river. It’s a short but spectacular trip, worth the effort, weather permitting (the weather is miserable at the moment). This is also area where the Port Wine cellars are located.

As for your hotel, it’s located about a five minute walk from the stadium metro station, walk past the stadium, the hotel is beside the Dolce Vita shopping centre. There’s not a lot to do in this part of town, which is traditionally a bit run down but is currently being redeveloped with lots of modern apartment blocks.

Don’t throw away the metro ticket you buy at the airport, the tickets are reusable (you put them into a machine and put more credit on them when you want to use them again – the actual ticket costs 50 cents, travel is extra depending on distance)

spain
Level Contributor
788 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

HcMh,

thanks for the reply and the information... Hope its a great game.

Cheers

Sunshinebob

Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

Ahhh Porto, what I wouldn't give to live close enough to vist more often.

Great reply HCMh.

I'm sure you will find Porto enjoyable - irrespective of the outcome of the game. The river front area and view from the bridge at sunset are very memorable.

4. Re: Couple of hours to kill , food & drink required.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 22:20