We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andante Tour vs. Gold

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Andante Tour vs. Gold

Hey all,

I've got a three day trip to Porto coming up in mid-June, and am just now getting familiarized with the city.

In regard to travel, I gather everything is streamlined on the Andante card, and that for tourists there is the option of buying a 24-hour pass for 5 euros or a 72-hour one for 11, both of which offer unlimited travel in all zones for their time period. But then there's also an Andante Gold, which also costs 5 euros, and also seems to offer unlimited travel. To purchase the Gold, one has to provide a passport photo, and when using it can only travel freely within Z1 and another zone of one's choice.

Do I understand the difference between Gold and and the 72-hour Tour correctly? Or is there anything else that's different? And if not, is there any real reason for me to buy a 72-hour Tour instead of a Gold? I haven't planned any destinations yet, but is it reasonable to expect that I will travel outside Z1 so often as a tourist as to warrant paying 6 euros extra for the Tour card?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andante Tour vs. Gold

Hello,

As far as am I aware, the gold card is intended for use by residents of the Porto Metropolitam Area who use public transport on a daily basis and therefore pay a monthly subscription at reduced rates. Hence the need for a photo, and I think the 5€ only includes the actual price of the card and not any travel.

So for tourists, I'm pretty sure that either the one or three day Tour card are the best options. Either one will give you unlimited access to metro and suburban trains plus buses, it sounds to me like the 3 day option would give you the most flexibility.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andante Tour vs. Gold

The Andante Tour is the new intermodal transport ticket for all the Metropolitan Area. With an eminently tourist vocation, the Andante Tour doesn’t have any trip, zone or mode limits.

It is valid for travelling all around the Porto Metropolitan Area, using the Metro, the STCP buses or the CP suburban trains.

This new ticket is available in two versions: Andante Tour 1 day (for the 24 hours after the first validation) and 3 days (72 hours after the first validation).

They cost 5 euros (Andante Tour 1 day) or 11 euros (Andante Tour 3 days).

The Andante Tour can be acquired at all the Andante Stores (right inside the Porto’s Airport, for instance), at the Porto Tourism Office and at all the STCP and Train ticket offices. The Andante Tour is not rechargeable.

No limits for your mobility.

More about Andante?

Talk to METRO DO PORTO!

Address:

Avenida Fernão de Magalhães, 1862, 7º, 4350-158 Porto

Telephone:

(+351) 225 081 000

Fax:

(+351) 225 081 001

E-mail: metro@metro-porto.pt

Boston...
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andante Tour vs. Gold

Thanks transparente for pasting the website information that I already summarized in my original post...

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andante Tour vs. Gold

sadseh,

your post is read by other travelers too.

As Destination Expert for Porto I should clarify the information.

Your irony is unnecessary...

Have a Nice Trip

VC

5. Re: Andante Tour vs. Gold

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2009, 05:33