We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Thanks to the generosity of contributors to this and other Portuguese forums and the wealth of information provided, I have put together an itinerary for our upcoming 12 day trip, Nov 26 - December 8. Since it's our first trip, I would like to ask for a reality check from experts and those who have visited before and request any suggestions.

11/26 - Arrive Lisbon @ 11 am

11/27 - Train to Sintra and back to Lisbon

11/28 - Lisbon

11/29 - Lisbon and Cascais

11/30 - Leave Lisbon by car for Evora

12/1 & 12/2 - a combination of Santarem, Óbidos, Alcobaça, Batalha, Nazare - I've read here some of these can be done in a couple of hours, but we also don't want to rush, so we will play it by ear, I think.

12/3 & 12/4 - Fatima, Coimbra, Conimbriga

12/5 - 12/7 - Porto, Douro area. We hope to do a one day cruise of Douro, experience Porto and all the great food and wine, etc. Time permitting, we plan to go to Guimaraes.

12/8 - We depart for US from Porto.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for changes. Thanks. Margarita

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Cascais
Cascais
Evora
Evora
Evora District, Portugal
Nazare
Nazare
Leiria District, Portugal
Fatima
Fatima
Santarem District, Portugal
Coimbra
Coimbra
Coimbra District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Guest House Douro
Guest House Douro
729 Reviews
Porto, Portugal
Guimaraes
Guimaraes
Braga District, Portugal
MUU Steakhouse
££££, Steakhouse, European, Portuguese
Euskalduna Studio
££££, European, Contemporary, Portuguese
Puorto
£, Fast food, International, European
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Hi there,

Overall your plan looks fine, although I would make two quick comments:

1.Your itinerary from 1st to 4th of December is a little crowded to say the least. Best to play it by ear as you said, I doubt if you will be able to fit everything in.

2.December is a somewhat unpredictable month weather-wise in Northern Portugal, you might get a lot of rain or none at all. So you probably should have alternative plans in case the Douro Valley cruise doesn’t work out.

Apart from that, welcome and enjoy your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
The Douro Valley
The Douro Valley
262 Reviews
Pinhao, Portugal
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Thanks for the help. I think I want to play it by ear, but is there anything in particular you would drop from the Dec 1 - 4 portion? And I did read the December might be rainy. I'm hoping for good luck on that, but glad you've prepared me as I had not thought that we would not be able to do the Douro. I'm very excited about the trip. I've wanted to see Portugal for a long time!

Mentioned in this post
Guest House Douro
Guest House Douro
729 Reviews
Porto, Portugal
Porto, Portugal
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

I would leave Santarém out. It's someway off the track and I think the other places would take all of your time.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Thanks so much, Psylocybin. That's helpful. We are leaving on Wednesday and are excited to go.

Jupiter, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

so exciting -- we are doing Lisbon-Porto-Lisbon from December 30 to January 8 -- please let me know how your itinerary worked out -- have a wonderful time!!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

Sure. We actually decided to fly into Lisbon and then out of Porto so we don't have to back track and make better use of our time. It worked out fine with our airline tickets. Will let you know when I return.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
JFE
California
Level Contributor
29 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

My husband and I visited Lisbon-Porto last October. We used public transportation throughout our stay. Our itinerary proved to be very aggressive but we were able to visit places that we planned to. We went around Lisbon on day 1, spent day 2 in Sintra then back to Lisbon in the early evening. Day 3 we took an organized excursion to Fatima, Batalha, Nazare and Obidos. Highlight of the day was to hear Mass in Fatima which the tour leader was able to schedule because there were only 6 of us in the tour. There was enough time to visit the grounds in Fatima, Batalha monastery, walk around Obidos, a short visit to Nazare and back to Lisbon for a nice dinner. We spent the next 2 days in Porto. Unfortunately, we missed taking the Douro river cruise we wanted to take on the second day, We should have planned to stay in Porto 2 nights and take an early train back to Lisbon on the third day. The cruise starts at 7am returning at 6pm which was our planned return to Lisbon. Next train would arrive very late in Santa Apolonia and we didn't want to risk missing the last Metro back to our hotel. Instead, we walked back around Porto with glorious weather than previous day (rained some). A Metro ride away to Masoshintos took us to Casa Serrao where we had the freshest grilled sardines for lunch. We spent our last day in Lisbon taking in Belem with all its attractions and capped the afternoon with a visit to Pasteis de Belem cafe.

We loved Portugal, the people are warm and friendly, with lots of good food and pastries and where you can still buy water for less than a euro.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Around Lisbon
Around Lisbon
474 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Fatima
Fatima
Santarem District, Portugal
Nazare
Nazare
Obidos
Obidos
Batalha Monastery
Batalha Monastery
2,304 Reviews
Batalha, Portugal
The Douro River
The Douro River
108 Reviews
Northern Portugal, Portugal
Casa Serrao
Casa Serrao
568 Reviews
Matosinhos, Portugal
Pasteis de Belem
Pasteis de Belem
37,210 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

thanks so much. We are almost wrapping up our trip now. Portugal has exceeded our expectations. We will try to make lunch tomorrow where you had your fresh sardines.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Lisbon to Porto Itinerary -Reality Check & Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2010, 05:24