We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port prices

Manchester
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Port prices

Hi - I am trying to get some information on port prices - can anyone help?

I am visiting with my parents this month, and we expect to buy around 10-15 bottles of port. We prefer the tawny type - I envisage us buying at the 10 year to 20 year ages.

Please could you let me know where the best places would be to find keenly priced bottles?

I think a typical price in the UK would be around £11 for a basic unnamed 10 year tawny to around £15 for Taylors on promotion. Are we likely to beat these prices in Porto?

Thanks!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port prices

The honest answer is "probably not". The prices you quote in pounds sound pretty close to the Euro amount you would expect to pay for an aged bottle of tawny. I bought a 10 year old bottle of Taylor a while back, it cost about 15€. Supermarket own-brands should cost about 10€.

Hypermarkets like "Continente" will have a decent selection of aged bottles and a few vintages. For a more refined selection, look for a "garrafeira" (literally "bottle shop"). The El Corte Inglês department store also has a good selection of vintages in its gourmet section but it's not cheap.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 21:49
2. Re: Port prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 07:31