We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Our first visit to your country. Arriving from a cruise ship and wishing to head north into the mountains, Duro wine country and Oporto in June 2011.

We will have 5 nights, the last in position for the Lisbon departure the next day.

We are thinking about 2 nights, followed by another 2 nights. We want to see what your beautiful country has to offer, taste, experience and enjoy.

Any suggestions are SO welcomed. Places to stay and locations. We will be driving.

Thank you so much.

Devon UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

I have just come back from 6 days doing just that. We had the most FABULOUS time. My top recommendation would be (budget depending) head for Casa Cimeira in Valenca do Douro for 2 nights. Wonderful place to stay, incredibly friendly, stunning views. From there you can take a train from Pinhao along the douro valley, runs right by the side of the river. - The whole return trip with a stop for lunch lasts about 3 hours. Or boat trips along the Douro.. Or just drive around - all roads are equally beautiful, but the special WINE ROUTE is awesome. DO get a good local map.

Regua is a nice town, worth a visit, on your way south. Lamego is worth a stop. If you are heading fro Lisbon as an exit, stop overnight at OBIDOS which is about one hour north of Lisbon, old walled medieval town, heitage site and the Obidos Lagoon is beautiful.

Hope that helps feel free to ask anything else

D

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Great information and so appreciated. Our budget is not the lower end. Does not have to be the most expensive, but nice, interesting and comfortable.

Thanks so much.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Taking into consideration 4 nights, plus 1 final night in the Lisbon area for airport departure, where would you stay?

Would like to do 2 nights and 2 nights, unless the area could be seen from a single destination.

Thank you so much!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Hey queeni_traveler:-) I, personally, would not allot just 1 night for Lisbon at the end..WIth 5 nights, I'd head up to Porto for a base for 3 nights (really boils down to 2 full days anyway)..and give Lisbon (area) 2 nights which again, really boils down to 1 full day once you calculate in the travel time, etc..Lisbon is an incredible City with loads to see in vicinity..you can even base close by on a beach..Albatroz properties for example in Cascais are maginificent..only a 30 min coastal train trip and you're right in Lisbon..where you can tour and take in for the day and return in the evenings to the wonderful waterfront Town! If money isn't too much of an issue, they can transfer you directly to the airport from the property! You're in for a treat! Enjoy!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

I will look into your ideas. Sounds so nice. We do have more time in Lisbon than it sounds like. Part of the last day, our ship spends in the Lisbon port and that evening. We plan to take a city tour that last day.

Seems that we have much to look forward to seeing and tasting!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Hey again:-) Well, I guess that does change things a bit..lol! Nonetheless, would certainly give Lisbon at least 2 nights either way you plan it out..and you'll have much 'seeing and tasting' to do indeed;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,671 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

In June you have all over Portugal major festivities called Santos Populares, particularly important are the 12 to 13 June in Lisbon in honour of saint Anthony (St. António) and the 23 to 24 June in Oporto in honour of saint John (S. João). Please check this with your cruise dates to organize your stay in these cities.

If you are driving from Lisbon to Oporto you have 2 highways to choose from, in both of them you have to pay tolls. Ask at the rent-a-car agency if it's possible to have a car with the electronic device that allows you to go trought the non-stop automatic payment tolls called "Via Verde". If you choose A1 it's around 320 Km and you can make a stop to visit Coimbra (old university town). If you choose A8/A17, also around 320Km, you can make a stop to visit Óbidos or/and Aveiro. That way you'll have a glimpse of the country.

In Oporto you have a fantastic place to stay called Palacio do Freixo (it's new) and has stunning views over the Douro river, it's not downtown. I would stay there for 2/3 nights. Oporto it's a very old town with a magnificent religious architecture. On the other side of the river it's a town called Vila Nova de Gaia where all the major Port wine brands have their cellars, that's the place to go to learn about the wine and to have the best views of Oporto.

I know that you are coming from a cruise but I would recomend a day cruise on the Douro river to Régua to appreciate the vineyards landscape. If you go to Régua by boat you'll return by train.

If you would like to drive trought the vineyards area plan to stay there for 1 night maybe at Douro Palace Hotel Resort & SPA or Aquapura Douro Valley hotel, the roads are beautiful but tiring.

In Lisbon, if you like small, charm hotels you have the York House or Solar do Castelo hotel; for both of them I would not recommend to have a car to park because they are both in historic areas of the city.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Most useful information. Thanks to all for answering. Will map this out and try to do it all. All your advise is SO welcome. We are most excited about our first visit to Portugal. We hear it is just beautiful, interesting and delicious!

Any suggestions are so welcome. We love to explore!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Hey again:-) Some great input..and having stayed at the York House a couple of time, can attest to its charm;-) Just beware it's not easy to locate..even the cabbie we had found it difficult to find..lol! It's in a wonderful local area..and you'd never know it was there since the doorway is simple and tucked away between other buildings..but once you enter..it's an oasis..gorgeous property;-) You can read the reviews here (and any property you're considering) by plugging in the name up in the search box here..top, left hand side! Enjoyin'!

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lisbon to Wine Country/ Mountains/ Porto

Great topic for me since my husband will be teaching in Lisbon in mid July. I am looking for recommendations for places to go and places to stay.

We have been to Portugal before but in the winter when we spent a few days in Lisbon and then a few days in the Algarve. On this trip we are thinking of spending time in Porto.

On our last trip, we did stay at the York House. I must admit I was disappointed. We had endless trouble with the wireless, there was a gapping whole where the LCD TV was suppose to be and bed was like a rock. We did find that you needed a taxi to see just about anything other than the nice long walk to National Museum of Ancient Art. We are planning to stay in the city center this time and looking for a nice hotel.