We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

We will be in Porto on the night of the 23rd of June. I am wondering if there is a particular area of the city where the majority of the festivites will be occurring or is it citywide?

We would like a place that is small and simple, two twin beds, private bathroom, balcony and breakfast included would be a bonus. On a tight budget - something at or below 60euros/night.

I know time's a-wasting because things are getting booked up for the festival.

Any thoughts on Peninsular? Price is right, accommodations are right but how about the location?

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

oh and one other thing...we will be taking the train Porto to Lisbon the next day. What station do we go to for that?

Sorry for the urgency in asking without researching but I just found out our dates and I know I need to act quickly on a hotel for that night.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

Wineott, if you're talking about "Pensão Peninsular" (Rua Sá da Bandeira), the location is excellent for the festivities. Another advantage is that it is near S. Bento train station. This station don't have direct service to Lisbon, but you can catch there a train to Campanhã, where you should switch for your train to Lisbon.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

Stay downtown and go to the river banks for the fireworks.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

More suggestions/advices:

- Buy a plastic hammer to defend yourself.

- Go dinner sardines at Fontainhas

- Although Portugal and Porto are a safe country, since it is a night with lots of people in the streets, protect your money and documents.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

vfelix - yes, that hotel (booking.com lists it simply as Peninsular)

64novpt - rua sa da bandeira IS downtown, right? It looked pretty close to the river but still centrally located

Do I have to carry my passport with me everywhere or can it be left in a safe in the hotel?

Which train station has direct service Porto to Lisbon?

Yeh, not sure on the sardines thing...perhaps if I have enough Port to wash them down.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

Yes, Rua Sá da Bandeira is downtown and it is 15 minutes walk to the river.

Essentially, on that night, you should avoid the bags that women use on shoulders (sorry, I don't know how you call them :D).

To Lisbon you have to catch a train at Campanhã train station and to get there go to S. Bento train station (near Peninsular) and take any train because they all stop at Campanhã (which is the 1st stop).

Sardines are good washed in olive oil, not with Port :D

Edited: 11 May 2011, 22:56
MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

Purse is I believe what you are referring to. I was thinking I would bring a purse or handbag that is worn over the body, crossing the body from shoulder to opposite hip, leaving me hands free to bonk people on the head with my plastic hammer...what in the world is that all about anyway?

Edited: 11 May 2011, 23:19
Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

Yes, purse, thank you :D

Go to Google image and search for "porto noite s. joão". Can be very crowded, and it's possible that someone put a hand inside your purse, without you notice. So, that night leave your passport at your hotel to avoid unpleasant surprises.

S. João, It's all about having fun:

- in the streets with hammers

- in fair fun amusements

- trying to launch a S. João balloon without burning him (or watch someone doing so)

- dining sardines and "caldo verde - kind of soup" (you can switch sardines by grilled pork)

- watching fireworks at Ribeira

- walking to a beach at foz district (+/- 6km, only for addicts)

- etc.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

The traditional was to bonk people with "alho porro", today it 's mainly noisy plastic hammers. Don't expect to drink Porto at these festivities, it's a sangria, wine or beer event.

At Sá da Bandeira you're on walking distance to everything.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Festival, June 23 What area should we stay in or near..?

perhaps I am searching wrong, but I cannot come up with anything regarding the festival...pics or videos. It is SaoJoao festival, right?

Edited: 15 May 2011, 03:27