We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Dining

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hancock...
Level Contributor
113 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Dining

I will be in Porto from mid-day on a Saturday until early Monday and want to maximize my experience there, especially with regard to dining. But it seems many restaurants list Sunday as "Dia de descanso" = "Day of rest" = Closed!

Can anyone suggest good options for Sunday? Looking for good local food not too far from central city.

My trip is just 2 weeks away - can't wait!

Steve

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Dining

Yes, Sunday evening is not a traditional night for going out. People dine out at lunch time but not at night.

The last time I went out on Sunday evening I went to Carpa at Avenida da Republica 1731 in Vila Nova de Gaia. It's a neighbourhood style restaurant with barbequed meat and fish as well as other simple, unpretentious food. There are three floors, the bottom floor (entrance on Avenue) is very basic, middle floor (enter through garden gate) is the best option. Nearest metro is João do Deus, it is walkable from south central Porto over the Dom Luis bridge top level and straight up the avenue.(a bit of a hike however).

Also open is Capa Negra on Rua Campo Alegre. You can read reviews of this one on the restaurant page.

Undoubtedly you will find restaurants open on both banks of the river but bear in mind that this is the main tourist drag so quality is hit and miss.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 22:01
Hancock...
Level Contributor
113 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Dining

Thank you! This is just what I was looking for.

Steve

3. Re: Sunday Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:20