We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ovar for Carnaval in February

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ovar for Carnaval in February

Hello,

I'm planning to be in Portugal in February, and specifically, in Porto, right before Ash Wednesday, and after doing research on carnavals, found out that a nearby city, Ovar, has a popular carnaval. However, I can't find too much general information on it or the city of Ovar itself while searching the web. Can someone describe to me the whole experience? I'm leaning towards checking it out one day/evening, but want to know more about it first.

Another question I have is, is it possible to take the train down for one evening, then head back to Porto at the end of the night?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,908 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ovar for Carnaval in February

I have never been to Ovar, just through it on trains. Ovar is on the Porto suburban rail network with frequent trains daily.

The current timetable can be viewed at

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…linha_aveiro.pdf

where you will see that the last train back to Porto is at normally at 2348. Ticket is €2,25 each way. I don't know if extra trains run for the Carnaval.

There is a website for the Ovar carnaval

http://carnaval.ovar.net/

only in Portuguese but you can easily run the items through a translating tool if required.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ovar for Carnaval in February

cubsur,

Thanks for the timetable. After looking at it, I think I'll be able to take the train down to Ovar, check out Carnaval, and then come to Porto in the late evening.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ovar for Carnaval in February

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure why it is that Ovar has the biggest Carneval in Portugal, but it must be said that in all other respects it is a fairly unremarkable town. Not unpleasant, just nothing special.

By the way, be aware that the weather in Northern Portugal in February is cool - this isn't Rio de Janeiro!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ovar for Carnaval in February

Hi HCMh,

Thanks for the input. I'm not surprised that there's nothing else special in Ovar. I can't seem to find anything about it while searching on the web. Have you ever taken the train there? How far is the station from Carnaval (or wherever all the action will be)?

And yes, I'm keeping in mind that it'll be wintertime (meaning colder) in Portugal during February. Thanks.

5. Re: Ovar for Carnaval in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:21