We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

Has anyone used the Autna bus service from Porto to Vigo?

There is conflicting information regarding travel time. I have found 1hour 45minutes and 3hour 45min. Is it non stop or multiple stops?

We are trying to get to Santiago and thought about taking the bus to Vigo and then train to Santiago but not sure how to get to train station from drop off in Vigo. Taxi?

Maybe train from Porto is best. Not sure of travel time.

Has anyone made this trip with connections?

Sure would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Guimaraes, Portugal
Level Contributor
254 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

Hi,

pls read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k3367…

Hope it helps

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,229 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

At http://www.autna.com/, choosing "servicios" and then "lineas regulares" you have a timetable with the schedules for week and weekend days. As an example departing from Porto airport at 9.45am you'll arrive to Vigo at 1.15pm (the time difference between Portugal and Spain is 1 hour). It seems to have multiple stops while in the city of Porto, after that just Valença and Tuy.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,568 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

The train timetable link in that 2010 thread won't work any more, so here is a link to the current timetable

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…porto_valenca_vigo.pdf

Still only two trains a day.

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

Thank you very much for the information.

Finally figured out the bus but wondering if the train might be the best choice.

Train from Porto to Vigo and transfer to connection to Santiago.

We are active seniors and trying to make the least stressful travel. Would you suggest the bus or the train?

I really appreciate your response.

Thank you

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,229 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

As said above you only have 2 trains per day (at 7.55am and then at 6.10pm), the bus will offer you 4 options on week days and only 1 on weekends. So depending on which day you are going to travel you'll see what's best.

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

Thank you for your prompt responses.

We are looking forward to our trip but this part of the journey is the most challenging. Will post our experience after we have travelled this route.

Thanks again for links and schedule information.

Happy travels!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,568 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

I hope this is not too late, but if travelling by the morning train from Porto to Santiago de Compostela you may wish to change trains at Redondela de Galicia , not Vigo.

If you stay on the train from Porto all the way to Vigo, you will see the train for Santiago de Compostela going past you in the opposite direction just as you pull in to Vigo. But it's only about an hour to wait for the next one!

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

Thank you for the information.

We will not be traveling until after summer so any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you again!

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

There's a bus that goes from Oporto to Santiago and you dont have to change. www.alsa.es

I would think that's the best option.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel fro Porto to Vigo/Santiago de Compostela

My wife & I are travelling 24/05/13 from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. We would prefer to leave Porto in the later part of the afternoon. If there is a coach/bus that goes all the way we'd take that. Any information regarding departure and travel, duration times would be appreciated