We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Hi, I will be driving from Barcelona to Porto and down to Faro. Can anyone suggest good places to visit from Barcelona to Porto and the Porto to Faro. I will have about 2 weeks all up. After Faro I wil be driving to Ronda Spain. Any help whatsoever on great places to stay, see, visit, experience, good food would be greatly appreciated. We have our own car, in our mid fifties, enjoy walking, especially great coastal paths, love sightseeing and visiting little villages and towns,enjoy a little history, love good reasonably priced casual cafes/restaurants. Don't speak spanish or portugese but we get by ok. Would love some advice, thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Two weeks for Barcelona-Porto-Faro-Barcelona? Or 2 weeks for Portugal/Spain border-Porto-Faro-Portugal/Spain border?

2. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 17:59
Edited: 18 April 2013, 17:59
queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Hello 64novpt,

Thanks for your reply. My dates are estimated but should be leaving Barcelona around 28th November and after Porto down to Faro I want to go to Seville and have to be in Ronda, Spain 19th December.

Hello visitporto, thanks for the links I will check them out and decide.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Ok, in the winter. The first thing to consider is that the days are going to be very short, it will be night around 5:30pm. Supposing that you'll stay a day or two in Barcelona, then go to Madrid via Zaragosa and to Portugal to Vilar Formoso border via Salamanca you'll probably arrive around December 8 or 10. If that's the case a good first stop it's Viseu where you can drive north to the Douro Valley (Porto wine vineyards), here you can explore the region between Régua and Pocinho, then you can go to Porto via Amarante, Guimarães and Braga (at least 3 days for this). Going south from Porto to the Algarve you'll have all those places mentioned above (among others) and that will take you at least 3 to 4 days. If you had to this at least 2 days in Porto and 2 days in Lisboa, you'll see that it's a little bit tight, but all depends on how long do you like to stay in every place.

Just some more links http://www.visitalgarve.pt/?idioma=uk; http://www.costaalentejana.com.pt/; http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/PageGen.aspx

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

For great coastal scenery, small towns and walks you must drive through Cabo Sardão (do a Google image search)...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Wow, this sounds exactly like what we want to do in June, 2013.

Starting in Porto and ending in Faro about 10 days later....

I will be watching and reading all of this fantastic information as it unfolds. I wasn't sure if this trip was appropriate for just 10 days, so I love the advice so far.

Cheers, Steve

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Mullos 1962 - you have the advantage of being here when it will be night only around 9:30pm, the biggest days of the year.

http://www.aldeiasdoxisto.pt/index/6; http://www.rt-oeste.pt/

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30182-15_days_…

maybe my triplist can give some inspiration as well?

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
441 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

I actually wanted to do the same trip as well, but I found out that flight prices are way cheaper if I buy a return ticket Brussels-Lisbon than when I buy a one-way Brussels-Porto and a one-way Faro-Brussels, so I think we're gonna arrive in Lisbon, inmediately rent a car and head up north and then afterwards head back to Lisbon, trying to see different things on the way back then on the way up north.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary from Porto to Faro

Anakha, we always buy tickets Brussels-Porto and Porto-Brussels (or Bxl-Faro and Faro-Bxl). One-way tickets are way too expensive, as well as drop-off charges for the car.

We have made two north to south - and back - car trips (this year and in 2011), staying in different locations each time. In case you're interested (and you read Dutch), feel free to read the trip reports on my blog.

June 2011: …blogspot.be/2011/…het-grote-reisverslag.html

June 2012: …blogspot.be/2012/06/reisverslag.html