We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao Joao - June 23rd

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
566 reviews
Save Topic
Sao Joao - June 23rd

I am usually quite careful planning around bank holidays as it does sometimes have an impact on transportation and things that can be done on those days. I had already booked my trip to Porto when I noticed that part of the trip will coincide with Sao Joao on June 23rd.

Reading about the festivities, I am actually excited about being in Porto for this event. However, I am curious on how this impact what would be close/open on June 23rd/24th. Reason for me asking I read on some sites that this is considered a "municipal holiday". Especially curious as to whether this impact operating hours for main tourists sites, local "shopping" and public transportation, including regional operations (Douro valley) for CP trains.

Would like to hear if someone has any insights or links to recommend to get more info on the above

Thanks

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

You may not have planned it but you've picked a good time to visit. São João is a lot of fun and really quite unique.

As regards logistics, expect the 23rd to be a normal working day, but bear in mind that people do try leave work early if possible as it is traditional to have dinner with family and friends.

The 24th is indeed a holiday and will function pretty much like a public holiday anywhere in the world. Expect shops, tourist sights and local transport to be running on a weekend type schedule, with the same opening hours or services that would normally apply on a Saturday or Sunday. This is only applicable to Porto and surrounding towns...outside of the area things will be running normally, including any transport services to other parts of the country.

That said, there are occasional exceptions to this general rule, so if you have plans to visit a particular tourist attraction or something similar, it might be an idea to contact them in advance to find out their arrangements for the day.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 18:58
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

This confirmed what I suspected (for the 24th). Many thanks for the info!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

The 23rd is a Sunday - HCMh said its a normal working day and the Monday a holiday. Is that correct? I would have thought both days would have reduced services available. Can someone else local based comment please.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

"23rd is a Sunday" will be normal for a weekend day, the transports will run on reduced weekend schedules.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

if you do go out on the 23rd and enjoy it as we do, you won't be doing a whole lot on the 24th, just saying! ;)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

Apologies. Yes of course, 23rd is a Sunday, I didn't even bother to check before I posted. So normal weekend routines. Oh and José S is correct - 24th will be hangover day. Or at least it should be if you've done the job properly on the 23rd.

7. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 17:59
8. Re: Sao Joao - June 23rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 06:17