We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bustling arty area?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Topic
Bustling arty area?

I've been trying to search the forum for 'which area to stay' questions & answers but haven't really found anything.

So: which areas in Porto are nice to stay in? I am late 30's, in other cities I always enjoy bustling, gayfriendly areas with street art, funky cafes, quaint shops, nice squares that have locals sitting around and chatting, markets, old architecture... Of course it would be nice to be close to some sights but my main goal is just strolling around looking at architecture (but *not* spending hours reading about its history or exploring churches), nature, people, letting the wind at the beach blow though my hair, visiting one or two other towns (by train or rental car).

Are there nice bustling areas in Porto that suit my wishes?

I'm planning to go for about 7 days in October (5 full days). Any comments on hotels versus apartments are also welcome, I'm leaning toward apartment if I can find something under €40 a night.

Muito obrigada!

Cecilia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bustling arty area?

The Ribeira area around the river, or across the river in Gaia are both lovely. The very centre of Porto (for tourists anyway) with lovely views and some good restaurants. Otherwise look around São Bento station and up into Liberdade Square. Boa viagem!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bustling arty area?

re gayfriendly: gooporto.com/porto-practical-information/gay…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bustling arty area?

Thanks!

Povoa de Varzim...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bustling arty area?

Porto is a gay-friendly city, closeted? 10 years ago... yes... 2013, no way. Even in the streets you can see there are areas where gay people gather,. It is located in the tiny streets around Avenida dos Aliados, especially the south side streets in the city center.

IMO, you can find in Porto most of what you are looking for.

have fun.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 14:13
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bustling arty area?

So I guess a room with private bathroom overlooking Av. dos Aliados close to Sao Bento station with a tiny balcony at less than €30 a night is a good deal and nice location? (I don't mind street noise, quite like it actually.) Thanks for the help!

Edited: 19 August 2013, 20:03
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bustling arty area?

How about Rua Álvares Cabral, seems quite a bit further away from things? Or is it in a nice neighbourhood still?

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bustling arty area?

Cecile74 - Our paths have crossed recently on the Amsterdam forum. I've just started lurking there for our visit next June.

We were in Porto this June and quite enjoyed it. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. We've also visited Lisbon, Sintra and Cascais.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
180 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bustling arty area?

Avenida dos Aliados is definitely more central but also a lot more touristy. Rua Álvares Cabral is fine, just a bit further away.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bustling arty area?

Have a look at this hostel: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189180-d227192…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bustling arty area?

Thanks! I ended up booking a really cool apartment through Airbnb on Travessa do Carmo, overlooking the church. The reviews all said the location was very nice and close to sights.

I'll check all other links I got in this and other posts.

Travelbugmississauga, I'll dive into a guidebook first but if I think of anything I know where to find you. :-)

Thank you all, I'm really looking forward to visiting.