We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

My husband and I are planning the final details of our trip to Portugal next week. I am having the hardest time deciding on a tour and tour company for Douro Valley Wine Tour/Cruise. The two companies and tours we are struggling to choose from are:

Company: Viator

Tour: Douro Valley Small-Group Tour w/ Wine Tasting, Portuguese Lunch & Optional River Cruise

http://www.viator.com/

-or-

Company: PortoDouro

Tour: Wine Tour - "Douro Valley" - Full-day tour

http://www.portodouro.com/

PortoDouro does not have any reviews posted while Viator has some great reviews as well as some that are questionable. Of course, if there is another tour that you would recommend, we would love to hear about it. We are hoping to see the Douro Valley and hopefully enjoy the wines prevalent in the region. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Maybe someone else can give you first-hand reviews, but I just wanted to point out that Viator is a consolidator for different tours - they don't actually conduct the tours, but find tour companies to promote through their website so the tour you found on Viator could possibly be conducted by PortoDouro, the other company you're looking at. (You might have already known this, so I apologize if you did - just wanted to point that out.) We are also going to the Douro Valley but decided to stay a couple of nights and tour out from there for port wine tastings.

And I guess you saw this?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k6544…

Have a great trip. Please come back with a Trip Report.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Thank you so much for your response. I actually had no idea that viator does not conduct the tours on their own. We are staying in porto for 4 nights so we are still trying to figure out how to divide our time. Hopefully we can figure this our soon!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
7 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Hi!

Next time check PortugalWineTravel.com selected info on Portugal Wine Regions, Wine Hotels and beyond.

Enjoy it!

Best,

francisco

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Any chance you made a decision and/or already went on your trip? My wife and I are also looking for a day trip into the wine country and are having trouble finding much online.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
7 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Hi! For specialized Wine Tours maybe visit DOC DMC, Wine-a-Day or Venha Vinho and they get what you are looking for. Enjoy the Wines! Francisco

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

There are diferent companies, check http://www.portotours.com/ The website is in english version as well.

Dublin
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

Is it worth doing a tour in misty & rainy weather ? (the weather this week is very disappointing)

We are worried that we won't be able to appreciate the Douro Valley, and it may be best to delay this trip until our next visit to the region.

Any advice ?

Thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

It will be fine after tomorow. www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.10dias/…

Just go and enjoy, it's gorgeous out there, even with some rain.

9. Re: Douro Valley Wine Tour Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 07:23