We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guimaraes

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Guimaraes

Is it possible to see all major attraction in Guimaraes in one day? i think train is only one hour from Porto. Major attractions are Guimaraes are castle, cable car. Anything else? Or is it advisable to stay overnight? I am going to Alpendurada e Matos following day and depend on public transportation. I can't find any buses that go from Guimares to Alpendurada e Matos. I don't want to return to Porto to take another bus next morning. It is out of a way. The only alternative is to take taxi and it is about 70 euros. Any buses from Guimares that will get me to Alpedurada 1/2 way?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guimaraes

http://en.guimaraesturismo.com/PageGen.aspx

I suppose that by train you can go till Marco de Canaveses (with a change at Ermesinde), it's closer to Alpendorada.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guimaraes

Yes, one day is enough to see Guimarães. It's the historic center you want to go to and it's walkable.

If you like, have a look at the following tripreport (the part forGuimarães)

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k44613…

Did you find the website for the trains? Indeed Marco de Canaveses is a bit closer to Alpendorada.

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guimaraes

thank you very much, now distance is only 17 km. Is it safe to assume taxi should not be a problem Marco de Canaveses? (as far as locating them and agreeing to travel 17 km)

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guimaraes

I have dropped an email to the junta da freguesia of Alpendurada e Matos asking them if there are any bus routes serving the village.

If I get a reply, will post here.

I suspect that any services will be very limited and probably only operate on school days.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guimaraes

Given the number of taxi companies, I think you'll be fine with a taxi. The distance won't be a problem, they are used to that and more. Here are some contact details, there's even one with an email:

Táxi Ferras Unipessoal Lda

Tel. (351) 255 534 321

Táxis Ritaxis

Tel. (351) 255 531 941

Cristiano Moreira

Tel. (351) 914 832 975

email: moreiracristiano@hotmail.com

I would also ask the hotel you're going to stay in if they have some arrangement for transfers.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 08:25
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guimaraes

How about this bus for Alpendurada e Matos ?

www.transdev.pt/download.php…

The road between Feira Nova and Entre-os-Rios passes through Alpendurada but the bus company spells it with an O. Is it the same place?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guimaraes

Several museums, Castle, Palace Duques de Bragança, historic centre, cable car and several sites on top of it: grottos, temples, gardens etc. Really depends on what you wanna see.

Two days is not to much for Guimarães, given you can spend a full day without seeing everything in Penha (area at the top of the cable car).

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guimaraes

Good catch Cubsur!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guimaraes

I am confused. i see transdev.pt/fotos/…

how do i get to entre -os-rios? i don't see any trains going there

Thank you

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Guimaraes

Yes, it's confusing and won't work. I presume you want to spend a full day in Guimarães.

No trains going to Entre-os-Rios. If you want to go all the way to Alpendurada e Matos by bus, the quickest option is taking Transdev back to Porto and changing to the line mentioned by Cubsur. BUT........ no such thing at the end of the day.

Best to take the train to Marco de Canaveses and then a taxi.