We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

Hi. We're really gearing up for our trip In April. My husband, I & our friends will be in Porto. We'd like to take the day river cruise up the Duoro and then transfer to a train to Salamanca, Spain. Has anyone made this trip? What town would we transfer to the train? Can anyone give me links to boat & train information? Does anyone have any possible costs for either the boat or train rides? Will they allow us to take our luggage on board the boat?

Thanks for any input you can give us.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

We are pleased to help.

Good luck in Salamanca at 5am!

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

Hi PennyJo,

I'd be curious to hear the details of your Coimbra-Salamanca train. I am trying to make the journey in the opposite direction in November. Thanks!

Jamey

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

Sure. No problem. We'll be returning from our European trip at the end of April. I'll write a trip report with details at that time.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

Trip Report Porto to Coimbra to Salamanca,

For all of you who answered and wrote information on which we made our trip decisions-thank you. We had an eventful and memorable trip.

Previous to our trip we'd bought train tickets through Palace tours located in New Jersey. Those tickets were on a night train that left Coimbra B station @ 11:37pm & arrived at 5:04 am. Upon our arrival in Porto, we'd bought 1-way tickets at the Porto Sao Bento train station for Porto to Coimbra B. (It turns out you don't have to buy a ticket between Sao Bento and Porto Campanha.) Designed specifically to reach the night train, the tickets cost 13.20€ ea. In order to catch that train we left Sao Bento at about 10:30 pm. The train left Porto Campanha station @ 11pm and arrived @ Coimbra B about 15 minutes later. The tickets we had from Coimbra B to Salamanca were for a 4 berth room with sink in the corner (we were 2 couples traveling together) and was very comfortable. A wc was located at the end of the hall. The porter woke us up 1/2 hr before our arrival in Salamanca. We'd made arrangements to arrive early at our hotel to which we took a taxi. So all was good except for 1 problem...fleas. All the bunks had them. The bunks were made up with cotton sheets and wool blankets. As I was the only person in our group with a wool coat, I was the one who offered the little critters a haven that I fought for the rest of the trip. Ugh!

I don't know whether to recommend this mode of transportation or not, but later in our trip we took the night train from Paris to Venice and had no problems. So your guess is as good as mine. Personally, I like train travel so I'd probably try it again but maybe not on RENFE.

25. Re: River cruise from Porto & train to Salamanca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 07:15