We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smokefree bars and restaurants?

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
smokefree bars and restaurants?

Yesterday I arrived to Porto, a city where I used to live. Unfortunately to find out the law about not smoking in public spaces does not work at all. Can anyone advice me places where they do obey the law? Yesterday I felt sick after being in a bar with many people smoking there. I have read it is only after midnight, but still. Came home and had to take a bath and wash my clothes (and I didnt bring many clothes...). Tips are VERY appreciated. Although I fear the popular places are all smokey. But I like to go out for dancing and meet people.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
861 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

Hey..

I know that in this bar: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g2618568…

It is totaly smokefree downstairs, and smoking area upstairs and outside.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

The law exists and it's followed, in any of these establishments you have to look for what kind of sticker is at the entrance (red means non-smoking and blue it's smoking). What the actual law says is "In the case of restaurants, cafes, bars and clubs, the law allows the creation of smoking areas, provided that the establishments has an area exceeding 100 square meters and that the smoking area do not occupy more than 30 percent of the total area. Still, they have to be physically separated and have its own system of air extraction." This law is going to be changed only after the approval of the new european directive about smoking.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

Sorry to say but Marie Jose is right. The law is usually followed in restaurants and most cafés, but definitely not in late-night bars, which is why I tend not to go out until it's warm enough to stand outside and chat...

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
861 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

But anyway.. I'm non smoker, but I understand smoking in late bars.. It is the same in Spain, Germany..

I understand it can be anoying, but we can't come as a tourist and ask them to change their habitudes..

Just my point of view of course.

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

In Portugal the general rule is that you can not smoke indoors intended for collective use. These includes public buildings, catering establishments, drinks or dancing, workplaces and public transport. Some exceptions: in areas that ensure direct ventilation to the outside, areas which ensure physical separation between smoking area and the rest is allowed.In cafes, restaurants, bars and clubs with less than 100 m2, the owner can choose to permit or ban smoking, it ensures the quality of air for non-smokers, in those with more than 100 m2, areas can be created smoke (maximum 30%), or a physically separate space (not exceeding 40%). If this does not happen, you can order the book of complaints, reporting your complaint to the ministry of economy. However this law will be changed soon and will not be allowed to smoke in all enclosed places.

6. Re: smokefree bars and restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:18