We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Is it less expensive to buy your ticket from Lisbon to Porto and back in advance or is the cost the same if you purchase it the day you travel? Thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

If you buy your ticket five or more days beforehand (up to a max. of 60 days) you can get a 40% discount on certain routes. For more info.: www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Otherwise the price will be the same; you can buy before you travel or book online even earlier.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 09:01
Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

The Alfa Pendular and Intercidades trains offers 40% less, but the cut-price tickets need to be purchased five or more days beforehand (up to a maximum of 60), this offer is limited to the number of cut-price seats on each train. The cost of the ticket: Lisbon to Porto and back in Alfa Pendular is 76,50€ (comfort) or 55€ (normal)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
79 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

I bought train tickets today, which is 6 days prior to travel, so I got 40% off.

Departing from Oriente in Lisbon to Porto, then in a few days, returning to S Apolonia station in Lisbon.

Cost was 18.50E each way.

When I bought the tickets I was told 1st class would have been 26E each way.

The only difference on the train is that 1st class get a newspaper and a welcome drink.

hope this helps :)

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

The first class seats are wider but the eco. class seats are quite comfortable as well!

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Thank you. Good info.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Hello! I have another question you might be able to help me with. We will be coming into Lisbon from Salema with a rental car. We need to leave the car at the Lisbon Airport. How far is it from the Lisbon Airport to the train station that will get us to Porto and how do we get from the airport to that train station. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Hello! I have another question you might be able to help me with. We will be coming into Lisbon from Salema with a rental car. We need to leave the car at the Lisbon Airport. How far is it from the Lisbon Airport to the train station that will get us to Porto and how do we get from the airport to that train station. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

"How far is it from the Lisbon Airport to the train station that will get us to Porto and how do we get from the airport to that train station."

It's 5 minutes on the metro (subway) from the airport to Lisbon Oriente station, where all the trains to Porto stop. Cost €1,90 each. A taxi will take about the same time but obviously cost more.

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

Thank you.

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel from Lisbon to Port and return

In Porto you will arrive in Campanhã train station, but you need to change to São Bento train station if you wanto to go to the city center. You can use the Lisboa-Porto ticket.