We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto to lisbon and back by Train

Which Porto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clermont Ferrand
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Porto to lisbon and back by Train

Hello All

I shall be taking the train from Porto to Lisbon.

My question is. From which station in Porto the train departs from, Sao Bento?

To which station the train arrives at Lisbon, Rossio or Gare de oriente?

Can I choose to get down at Rossio?

What is the best way to train tickets at reasonable fares?

Thanks in advance.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
860 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto to lisbon and back by Train

Hi. I would recommand to take the train at Porto Campanha, and get off at Oriente or Santa Apolonia

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,260 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto to lisbon and back by Train

My question is. From which station in Porto the train departs from, Sao Bento?

Trains to Lisbon leave from Porto Campanhã station. You can take a suburban train to there from São Bento or go by metro.

To which station the train arrives at Lisbon, Rossio or Gare de oriente?

Trains all stop at Lisbon Oriente, then all except two continue to Lisbon Santa Apolonia in the city centre. The two trains that do not go to Santa Apolonia stop next at Lisbon Entrecampos then pass across the river and to the south of Portugal.

Can I choose to get down at Rossio?

These trains do not go to Rossio station, which is now only used by local trains on the Sintra suburban line.

Which station is best for you depends on your final destination. All the stations also have metro.

What is the best way to train tickets at reasonable fares?

The only place to buy tickets is at www.cp.pt - the national railway website. Reservations are required and are available a maximum of 30 days before travel. If you buy your ticket 6 days or more in advance there is a 40% discount on the normal price.

You can get train times and fares in detail at the Portuguese Railways website www.cp.pt and you can get the site in English (if required) by clicking on the little flag icon at the top of the page, next to where it says 'Acesso Rapido'.

The site includes downloadable and printable timetables for all lines, as well as a search on point to point timings for specific journeys.

Seat reservation is compulsory on all Alfa Pendular and InterCity long distance trains. On line reservations open 30 days before travel. You print your own ticket, so must have access to a printer. If you have a Portuguese mobile phone you can also have your ticket sent by SMS. (At the time of writing I don't know if this works for non-Portuguese phones.)

Also, if purchasing tickets on line, you are asked for ID which for most visitors will be a passport number. Have these ready at the time of purchase and for inspection on the train.

Tickets can be bought at the station up to the last minute, but if the train is full you will have to wait for the next one, which might be tomorrow. Long distance trains are particularly busy on Friday evenings, Sunday evenings and around major holidays. The Lisbon - Porto line is busy at all times.

I hope that helps.

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto to lisbon and back by Train

Trains from Porto to Lisboa departure from the main train station Campanhã, but you can use your Porto-Lisboa train ticket from São Bentro train station located in the city center and then change trains at Campanhã.

4. Re: Porto to lisbon and back by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:28