We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Hello!

A group of friends and I are planning a trip to Portugal next June to (amongst other things) attend the Primavera Music Festival.

I've been checking out maps and I see that the fest is in Matosinhos.

So my question is... In your opinion, would it be better for us to stay in Porto and take the train/bus/taxis etc to and from, or to stay close by in Matosinhos? Is there lots to do in Matosinhos (bars, restaurants, etc)? Is public transportation easy, and does it run late?

We are late 20s to mid 30s, traveling in a large (10+) group, and definitely like to party.

Thanks!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
278 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

There are several hotels close to Parque da Cidade where Primavera Sounds happens, but the closest is:

Hotel Porto Mar (Matosinhos)

Rua Brito Capelo 169, Matosinhos 4450-073, Portugal

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Matosinhos has stations on the Porto metro system which normally runs until 0100hrs. And it's really cheap.

The metro trains are like trams. See www.metrodoporto.pt for all the details.

www.stcp.pt is the city bus website. There are some night buses but service generally only operates until midnight. I don't know if they run extra late trips for the festivals etc.

Matosinhos is a seaside resort of Porto. It is a very popular place for people from the city to visit.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Stay in Porto, Matosinhos has restaurants where people go for fresh fish and that´s it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Thanks so much for your responses!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

There are regular buses during the day to the festival and special bus services during the night/early morning taking you straight back to Aliados in the center of Porto. (I use them myself ;) ) I would find a place somewhere nearby (Aliados) if you're staying for more than just the duration of the festival.

Have fun!

Porto
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Better to stay in Porto city center where you'll find lots of bares and places to have fun, there are special buses and metro to the festival.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Matosinhos is a great place to live, but as much as I love it, maybe it is better to stay in Porto for the trip. However, you would surely enjoy not having to travel to Porto after you get out of the festival and stay just somewhere around. Some people are renting their apartments for special occasions like these - so you can find some opportunities for sure on pages like olx.pt. you need to search for arrenda para férias, matosinhos or more specifically matosinhos sul. (even if okay... parque da cidade where the festival takes place is so to say in porto, matosinhos is the other side of the road :-))...)

Edited: 02 September 2014, 16:28
Porto
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

Just to make sure you get it: Parque da Cidade is in Porto, Matosinhos is just 'across the street':)

9. Re: Porto VS Matosinhos - where should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 06:21