We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General advice

Which Jolly Harbour hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxted, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
General advice

Hi all.

We are off to Sugar Ridge very soon and i would be very grateful for some advice on a few topics.

1)Exchanging money - are we better off doing this in the UK, at the airport when we arrive or in town?

2) Any idea if mosquitoes are an issue either at the hotel or in the area.

3) Any idea if towels are provided by the hotel around the pools, and do they provide towels to take to the beach

4) What are the best beaches nearby? I know that Sugar Ridge provides a shuttle to 3 beaches, but what others should we consider

5) We are all inclusive but if we fancied going out one or 2 nights to try local restaurants, where would you recommend?

6) What is the real deal regarding drinks at Sugar Ridge - unlimited bottled water (we drink alot of water), cocktails? can we get wine by the bottle or just by the glass?

7) What type of adapter do we need

Many thanks for any advice you can give us on any of the above points.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General advice

1. You're better off exchanging your money in Antigua, you'll get a much better rate. You can exchange your money at the airport or in town, but you can also exchange it at Jolly Harbour which is literally down the hill from Sugar Ridge. There used to be 2 banks in Jolly Harbour, but one is closing down. You can check out http://www.abibank.com.ag/ for opening hours.

2. Mosquitos are a problem on almost all Caribbean islands. With a few minor precautions, this issue can be limited however. Staying out or covering up at dusk and dawn, when both mosquitos and sandflies come out at their most active, is critical in avoiding this problem. Also, close your doors and windows in the hour prior to and after dusk and dawn as well. Wearing bug spray is also important.

3. Not sure

4. Beaches within a 10 minute car/bus ride include -Hermitage Beach, Jolly Beach, Ffryes Beach, Valley Church Beach, Darkwood Beach, Turners Beach, Morris Bay, Carlisle Bay.

5. Try Al Porto on their special nights - Tuesday for 2 for 1 Pizza, All you can eat Pasta on Thursday, and Lobster Sunday, located in Jolly Harbour. It's recommended that you have a reservation for these nights, or else you'll have a long wait. Just outside of the Jolly Harbour complex is Miracles, which (I've heard) serves great lobster.

6. Don't know

7. I'm not sure if Sugar Ridge has British plugs (I suspect they do) but bring a British to American adapter.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General advice

I'll try to answer all of these!

1. I wouldn't recommend buying EC in the UK - the rate's usually pretty poor. If you want to take some US$ by all means do so before leaving. Once there, you're very close to Jolly Harbour, where you can either exchange money or withdraw local currency from the ATM. I think the ECAB branch is the most reliable.

2. It's the tropics, so there are bugs. Take the usual sensible precautions - you might find this useful - tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147242-c3273/Antig…

3. Yes, and yes.

4. I'd add Darkwood to those on the regular list.

5. Sheer Rocks at Cocobay for something special.

6. Bottled water is usually excluded - but filtered is available freely. Taking a personal filter bottle (bobble type) is always a good idea. All other drinks are included, including wine by the glass.

7. I believe the resort is 110/120v (so make sure you have dual voltage appliances) with US 2 flat pin plugs.

Oxted, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General advice

Thanks so much for your quick replies

4. Re: General advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Jolly Harbour
Recent Conversations