We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Ridge Questions

Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Topic
Sugar Ridge Questions

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and are very interested in staying at Sugar Ridge in Antigua. We love the rooms and the view. We are planning to do a photoshoot in our wedding outfits to continue the beach theme of our wedding back in the states. I have a very simple dress and we are pretty laid back. This will just be for memories and we're not trying to get on the cover of a wedding magazine. We are not planning on doing the all inclusive and I have a few questions....

Is the shuttle from the resort to the 3 beaches free? If not, how much is the charge? How often do they run?

Is there a grocery store near by? If so, how is pricing? And is there a decent size mini fridge in all of the rooms?

Are the electrical outlets american style 2 prong?

Can you recommend any photographers for our photo session? Preferably reasonably priced.

Are there any spots close by to cliff jump? We want to get photos of us wrecking the dress!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Hi Rhianna,

My husband and I just returned from our second long stay at SR, and numerous trips to Antigua. I can answer some of your questions regarding SR. With regard to your photography questions, I'd recommend you check out the Antigua tourism site, antiguanice. There should be lots of info there since Antigua is now the wedding hotspot of the Caribbean. I also cannot recall any cliffs from which you might get a good shot, but if you check out that site, as well as Life in Antigua and Barbuda put out out by the Antigua Hotels and Tourist Association; it's a magazine, but may be on line, or perhaps they will send to you.

As for SR, we obviously love it as we are repeat visitors and plan to go yet again. We love the warmth of the staff especially, even though it is a gorgeous resort, not too big, but very well run, but with a laid-back attitude.

The beach shuttle for guests is complimentary and will take you to several of the nearby beaches within minutes. The shuttle runs from 9:30 to 5:30 essentially on request. It is fast and efficient.

The shuttle will also run you to the grocery store at Jolly Harbour, which is also minutes away (about 5 by shuttle). You can walk it too, which I often did, but can be a bit lengthy if you are carrying items back. The shuttle will also pick you up either at a designated time or you can have someone at the store (the Epicurean0 call for you.

Food prices are definitely higher than in North America; they are higher than we are used to in Canada, so I'm thinking they may be even higher for you since our retail is usually higher than yours. Of course, it depends on what your are buying; for example, imported wines are actually cheaper there than what they are at home. Sparkling water was about 7.50 EC for a 1 litre bottle. You can figure out the U.S cost with the current exchange rate. Prices are listed in EC dollars, but they will give you the U.S. price when you pay at the till, as well.

The room's mini fridge is small, and is stocked with the mini bar items; however, if you don't want them, you can take them out and get the hotel to collect them, leaving the fridge free for your own purchases. The electrical outlets are the same as those in North America, two-pronged. I charged both my IPAD and mobile phone in frequently while we were there.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Rihanna Hi,

Melva has answered most of your questions so I'll only try to fill in the gaps.

Re photographers, SR has a fabulous wedding centre at the top of the hill next to "Carmichael's" with incredible views and they are becoming the "in place" for hi quality weddings. I realise you will be actually on your honeymoon but I make the point because they also attract the best photographers on the island. You could ask the hotel to recommend one or two. Staff there are always helpful so I would recommend you contact " Iesha "at

reservations@sugarridgeantigua.com

We used to live on the island many years ago and have been going back on vacation in each of the last 14years but I can truthfully say that I am not aware of any actual cliffs that can be reached by anything short of a Hummer.

People like Mark, DGT or Ms George know a lot more than I do so they might be able to help.

However, Antigua is a very poor island and I wonder if you might consider that rather than trash the dress you might find some local girl whose big day could be made more complete with a dress that she could not possibly afford normally? If the idea appeals to you I believe the manager,Keith Martell, could make some enquiries on your behalf .

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Thank you so much Canada!! Of course now I have a few more question!

1. How much is round trip transfer to the resort from the airport?

2. Any must-do attractions? Which attractions have you done and how much did they cost?

3. I see you said a liter of water was 7.50 EC that converts to almost 10 dollars US. We would need at least of those each a day. That would add up quickly! Is bottled water on the resort just as expensive or is the tap water at the resort safe to drink??

4. We are not doing all inclusive but I think breakfast is included with the stay. Is this true? If so what kind of food can we expect?

Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Also someone posted that if you do not do the all inclusive that the hotel has a deal with some of the restaurants on the beaches for lunch at no extra cost. This doesn't sound right but just checking.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Hi Rhianna,

Not to worry, you have calculated the money in the opposite direction: 7.50 is only 2.88 U.S. at 2.6% which I just did on my calculator. That's not bad, but just a bit more than here where it's maybe between 1. and 2. CAN.

We had our transfers included in our package but interestingly, there was some controversy among the cabbies who wanted to charge more. The cab dispatcher (we ended up getting our own after all) told us it should be 24 U.S. one way to SR. We gave the cabbie a 5 U.S. tip coming back as we didn't pay that one and he looked annoyed. But we are not fans of over tipping.

My favourite thing to do is hang out at the beach, eat and relax. How busy do you like to be and is there anything special you like to do? We always hire a car and tool around the island. We love animals so we visit the Donkey Sanctuary to give them a donation and buy t shirts. Also love to explore other small beaches. However, I would recommend going to English Harbour and seeing Nelson's Dockyard and museum, doing the tour of a former plantation, Betty's Hope in the days of the big sugar trade about 200 years ago. A trip into St. John's for a little duty free shopping is fun (avoid when the cruise ships are in). Also, we missed the opportunity, but I would recommend a day trip to Barbuda and/or Montserrat (flying - unless you don't mind rough seas) with Jenny Tours (hotel recommends).

Watch our for the tour hawkers at the beaches; if you have questions, check with the hotels and the places they deal with. The shuttle bus driver also does walking tours, with a naturalist bent to them. I did one of them, and it was kind of neat as he took us into a couple of spots you would not have ventured on your own or with a bigger tour group.

I am leery of some tours, as I don't like being shipped around like cattle or condescended to, and like places I can get to on my own (by hired car) as well. There are also snorkelling tours if you do that.

Getting back to the water, from the tap is fine! We got a little tired of buying the bottles so we got it from the tap at the restaurant or right from the sink in the hotel room; ice is always available. Plus, you can make tea with the coffee maker in the room or ask for a kettle.

Yes, breakfast is included. It is a nice buffet of a range of things: rolls, toast, fresh fruit, cold cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, juice, but you can order a la carte as well (same price). We don't like going out for breakfast so we ordered room service breakfast for a delivery fee of 10. U.S. plus tax.

With regard to your question re the all inclusive at other restaurants, yes only if you are all inclusive, you can eat at Turner's beach restaurant or the the Nest restaurant at Valley Church Beach, and you don't pay any extra. If you are NOT on the all inclusive, you can still go there, and you just pay for it. We were AI last year but we preferred not to be this year because it enable us to try other beach restaurants, like Dennis at Ffreys, and OJ's at Gibson's.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Mentioned in this post
Valley Church Beach
Valley Church Beach
845 Reviews
Antigua
Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

You are being so helpful! Thank you so much!

Last few questions for now!

1. We plan on staying 10 to 12 nights. For budget reasons we do not want to eat out for every lunch and dinner. He also has a strict diet for medical reasons. Do you think it would be weird to bring an electric skillet from home? Or maybe even ask for a microwave?

2. How much did you pay for a rental car? Was it for the day or your entire stay?

3. Have you ever been to Jamaica? We have and we loved it but thought we would try somewhere new. So it is between Jamaica and Antigua for us....leaning towards Antigua!

4. We do like to stay pretty active. Our favorite thing to do at the beach is playing volleyball and snorkeling so I was wondering if they had volleyball nets and walk in snorkeling at any of the nearby beaches?

Thank you again and sorry for all the questions. We are just trying to budget our stay. We do not have much family so all of the wedding and the honeymoon is on us and we tend to be frugal but traveling is our weakness!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

XRBC,

Giving somebody else the opportunity to use my dress sounds like a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion. You put the situation into perspective for me as I hadn't thought of it that way. I would still like to cliff jump but maybe in a bathing suit instead.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 00:41
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

You're most welcome...regarding the skillet, it is a little different, but why not. We made a lot of special requests and they were all granted. I see your point about wanting a little control in your meals, as well as watching your spending. I'm wondering if you may be happier in a self-catering resort, whereby you could have the option of cooking your own, but also choosing restaurants when you felt like it. In that same area, there is a resort called Tranquility Bay which is self catering and shares facilities with the Jolly Beach Resort. I looked into once as it seemed quite budget friendly. You could still go to SR's restaurants like Carmichael's where they have amazing views. Also you mentioned that you like to play volleyball at the beach, and I know that Jolly Beach has that kind of thing, while SR does not, although they do have a nice gym.

No problem with the questions...glad to help!

As far as snorkelling goes, I've seen people walk out at several beaches, though I can't say how good the snorkelling was. Mark might have a better idea for this one.

The car rental was about 70 U.S. for the first day. We asked to keep it for a second day and that was about 50, for a sub compact, a KIA. I'm wondering if you could get a better deal elsewhere though. Oh, and don't forget , you have to purchase a temporary Antigua license for 25 U.S., which is good for 3 months.

Yes, I have been to Jamaica, but it was quite a long time ago. I find Antigua much less developed, and of course smaller than Jamaica, with perhaps a little more "old Caribbean" charm.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Rhianna,

Some good photogaphers include Vanessa Hall, ZIA photography and Joseph Jones. I'd say contact them and get the best price.

In terms of cliff diving, I know it's a big thing in a few places in the Caribbean like Jamaica, but can't say I've EVER jumped off a cliff while living here! That being said, there are a couple of clips on Youtube, but those are pretty extreme! Maybe one of the photographers can give a few suggestions. Although, there are many other memorable ways to "trash the dress" so the photographers will give their own pointers.

Must do attractions - Stingray City, Antigua Rainforest Canopy Zipline Tours, Segway Antigua, Eli's Eco Tours, are some of the more common and best recommended tours. There are also people like Sean and Gordon who will give great personalised tours at a reasonable rate. Google them for contact info.

Oh, I'd also throw in Half Moon Bay and/or Deep Bay. Deep Bay has a fort that you can "hike" up to, and snokelling on the right hand side.

In terms of car rental, if you're renting for a week or more, you can get the price of a rental down to about 35 US per day, and I'd advise you to book online with any of the big car companies, they pretty much have all the popular companies down here. It's better to book more than one day, because you have to pay one off fee for drivers license ($20 US) and it's a much better price the longer you book.

There are volleyballl nets at Jolly Beach just down the hill from you.

I think that there is some limited snorkelling at Darkwood and at Turners, which are about a 5 minute drive away, and I believe that the shuttle will take you there as well. However, the best snorkelling will be further off shore, and Antigua isn't particularly a snorkelling destination.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Charlottesville...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sugar Ridge Questions

Thank you all so much for your help!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!!

I read that the trolly at sugar ridge stops running at 5pm. We would like to stay at the beach later than that so I am wondering how we would get back to the resort. Is it a walkable distance?

Also, is the infinty pool at carmichaels availible for use by all resort guests? Is access restricted at all? It looks gorgeous, I just want to make sure you don't have to order food or drinks to use it!

Thank you!!

Get answers to your questions about Jolly Harbour
Recent Conversations