We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about Weather!

Which Jolly Harbour hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about Weather!

My wife and I are coming down to Jolly Harbour for a week starting Feb 2nd, but if I check the various weather sites, it shows rain almost every day. I'm very worried, but I'm really hoping that rain in Antigua is more on and off.

The last thing I need after temperatures of -30 here is to pay good money to head south to be stuck inside.

Anyone have any reassuring words?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about Weather!

Don't worry!!! I live north of Toronto and the weather is even colder lately...We just came back from Antigua a couple of weeks ago, and I was checking forecasts daily, and like you, noticed rain almost daily. But those forecasts can be very deceptive: Almost 99% of the time, the rain was very intermittent and lasted only a few minutes. We were able to get out and about, enjoy the beaches all day, etc. with no problem at all. We came back happy and suntanned.

Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about Weather!

Went over Christmas and it rained nearly every day........ for a few minutes. lovely and warm and soon dried off.

Ontario
Level Contributor
424 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about Weather!

it can also rain on one part of the island - but not the whole island and not necessarily where you are at -- so don't fret about the weather - we got caught in a downpour at English Harbour one day - but when we got back to the northwest part where we were staying they barely had a drop

North of Watford
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about Weather!

I've also been watching the forecast and thinking the same thing - we arrive on 31st Jan. However the BBC weather forecast for V C Bird Airport shows the chance of rain has reduced :-) Sure you'll have a wonderful time - we always do!

St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
678 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about Weather!

In most forecasts "rain" means some rain , somewhere on the island for some part of 24 hours. It often consists of 10 mins rain moving across part of the island leaving the rest unaffected. It rains most often in the night , but that counts as rain for that day so far as forecasters are concerned. Watching the forecast and worrying about it will not change what actually happens one iota. Finally there is a tendency for forecasts for dates further away to predict rain and as the date approaches the amount of rain predicted reduces steadily.

Can,t rule out the possibility altogether but you should get plenty of sunbathing time.

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about Weather!

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! You've definitely helped alleviate some of my concerns!

Antigua
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about Weather!

Jeez isn't about time that tripadvisor permitted a sticky post on weather on Antigua? Guys, Antigua is one of the driest islands in the Caribbean, one of the last to be colonized because there are no full time streams or springs. We are having a drought at the moment and the government is rationing water to residents. Please stop worrying about rain. Worry about how high spf your sunscreen has. Here is a live radar shot of the actual rainfall in the eastern caribbean. The white areas are without any rainfall at all. This is a sat loop of clouds passing through the area: ssec.wisc.edu/data/volcano/montserrat.html and here is a still shot for those of you who couldn't open the link above: www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/volcano/montserrat.gif

The dark areas are the cloudless areas. We have some upper level clouds over the west coast right now but it's enough to get you burnt while on the beach right now. Don't worry! :-)

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
639 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about Weather!

It will be gorgeous, no worries!!!!

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about Weather!

we were there Christmas and went to st johns and had a massive shower real hard heavy rain and when we got back to sandals they hadn't had a drop, that is only 15 mins drive away so some parst will have rain and others nothing, we did have rain most days but they were short and sharp they didn't ruin our day or night

xxxx have a good trip

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about Weather!

Hi Everyone,

Just returned from a week in Jolly Harbour and I can definitely say that my concerns about the weather were completely unfounded. Despite a little bit of rain everyday, the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Unlike back home (depending on where that is for you!), the rain lasts only a few minutes at most and everything dries up quickly due to the sun and heat.

Those looking at a scary forecast (provided it's not hurricane season!) need not be worried.

Get answers to your questions about Jolly Harbour
Recent Conversations