We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sala samui koh samui

Which Choeng Mon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sala samui koh samui

Hi there,

Me and my fiancee are getting married in sept 2014, we want to go to thailand for honeymoon but as it is rainy season then, we are prepared to wait until jan/feb.

We are planning on going from gatwick to bangkok for 2 nights then sala samui for 12 nights. Please can someone who has been there in the last couple years tell me if the choeng mon area has plenty of bars and restaurants. We want luxury with romantic meals but also like sitting, chatting at a relatively busy bar and drinking cocktails/beers. We are planning on popping to chaweng for a few nights, but there to be enough around the resort.

Also is it easy to get to other islands for a day trip koh phangan and koh tao?

Any extra info you have is welcome

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sala samui koh samui

Hi there, there are about 30 or so bars and restaurants in Choeng Mon High Street and on the beach, so enough to keep most people happy. However, I wouldn't describe Choeng Mon as a busy area. Quite the opposite as its a very laid back beautiful part of the island but its very quiet after 10pm. Sala would satisfy your luxury, romantic and beautiful meals criteria but if you want a resort that's busy late into the night then no I wouldn't say it met that criteria at all.

If you want somewhere busy all day every day with hundreds of bars, restaurants and shops then you're describing Chaweng but its not somewhere I would recommend for a honeymoon for a whole host of reasons. For what its worth I think Salas in a beautiful location that's close enough to Chaweng for a manic night out and equally close to Bhoput if you want some top quality restaurants in a more laid back environment than Chaweng.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sala samui koh samui

September is in monsoon on the Andaman side (Phuket, Krabi etc) but not on the gulf side where Samui is. In general you would probably get better weather in September than January and you have the added advantage of it not being peak season so your money will go further.

I think Sala is a great choice for honeymoon. There are plenty of places to eat and drink however it is quiet later at night. The thing is, even at South Chaweng it is still busy so if that is not an issue then you could look at Poppies. For a honeymoon I would probably choose Sala for the best of both worlds where it is an easy trip if you want something more lively.

Most tours pick up from the hotels so you have no worries with that.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sala samui koh samui

hi guys

agree with allie [you have wrong info for samui monsoon]

the general time is october /november

last year we didnt even get one

september is usually great and not crowded [not much traffic jams ]you could also try Muang samui villas and suites on choeng mon beach

close to sala

or the tongsai bay resort which is just a half km away from choeng mon beach

actually you can snorkell there from tongsai bay

cheers

dean cleeton

bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sala samui koh samui

Thanks for the information. Just a question what is Bo phut like ive heard its a bit less crazy to chaweng but bars are open late, is that correct?

Nic

New Paltz, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sala samui koh samui

Hi deen

will be at tongsa8 bay tomorrow, any recommendations fornfood in the area. Are there other towns to visit? We wre both 60 but fun and active, thanks tim odonohue

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sala samui koh samui

We love Akbar Indian when we are in Cheong Mon, also Krua Thai is very good.

Tina

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sala samui koh samui

Hi Jezz43, we totally agree with you!

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sala samui koh samui

Bophut is a lot more lively than Choeng Mon, without being full of party mad youngsters like Chaweng. Fisherman's Village in Bophut is a very nice place for couples on holiday/honeymoon. Some nice bars and some great restaurants, but well away from all the madness of Chaweng.

bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sala samui koh samui

Thanks

how long does it take to get from choeng mon to bo phut? and how much would you expect to spend on a taxi there and back in an evening?

Is the sala samui very expensive to eat and drink their?

10. Re: sala samui koh samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Choeng Mon