We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gangotri trekk

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gangotri trekk

Hi, I am going to Delhi and then to Rishikesh. I am planning to go to Gaumuk (source of ganges) at the end of may this year (2014). Is there an agency in Rishikesh I can contact for finding people ( a group) I can travel with? What do I need to take with? I have a sleeping bag and sticks to walk with. Thanks for sending information.

Ilona

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gangotri trekk

Please attend Uttarkashi for permission to go to Gomukh from Gangotri. Otherwise you will have to face problem at gate to Gomukh.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gangotri trekk

hi

inner line permit is necessary for gaumukh -- you can get easily from uttarkashi...

permits can be availed from gangotri also but need to be there very early..and less number of permits issue.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gangotri trekk

Thank you. I know that. Is it ok to do it when I am there?

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gangotri trekk

hi

yes you can get...you can also talk to the DFO (division forest officer) on 00-91-137-4223693 and if they allow you can fax your details to get permit in advance.

also it hardly takes 10 minutes to issue a permit in uttarkashi at DFO office.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gangotri trekk

Thank you. Your Info makes me happy :-)))

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gangotri trekk

hi

most welcome

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gangotri trekk

What else do I need to take with? I have a sleeping bag, a mattress and warm clothing.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gangotri trekk

hi llona F

Warm cloths are must ..take adequate..also keep good thermals, nice hooded jackets, woolen socks and hand gloves...also keep a rain cheater/gear...keep some spare plastic bags with you to keep important items in it like passport, food, papers, camera in it while raining....also it will help you to keep wet cloths ...good trekking shoes - waterproof will be good, necessary medicines, battery operated flashlight.....flashlight you can purchase here ..also medicines and food too...always keep high energy foods with you

well from your place - carry sleeping bag, mattress, warm cloths, shoes, rain coats - all other necessary things you can buy here also if you want to avoid carrying lots of item from your home town.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gangotri trekk

Hi Ilona,

I don't know which conutry you are from, but you must have heard of the great floods and landslides that happened in Uttarakhand Himalayas in 2013. I also wonder why nobody has mentioned this here yet. I've myself been planning to trek to Gaumukh and then further to Tapovan, and my dates are 29th May to 2nd June, 2014. However, due to the floods last year, several roads, villages and other facilities were simply washed off the surface, and almost 5000 people lost their lives. That's the only thing keeping me from embarking on this journey. I've been researching a lot about this and the impression I'm getting is not positive. Although the Char Dham Yatra, which the Gangotri temple is also a part of, has started earlier this month, how much of improvement in the infrastructure the local authorities have been able to achieve remains to be seen, as this is the first season after floods last June and the 6-month closure period during winter.

Here are some links:

### …indiatimes.com/india/…32565470.cms

### …in.com/news/…469128-3-243.html

I urge you to do proper and comprehensive investigation before starting the journey from Uttarkashi. And if you get reliable and positive information showing that it is safe to go up there, please do let me know. And I would be really really glad to join your group as our dates also kind of match.

Thanks for reading. Wishing you safety.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gangotri trekk

Additionally, I request all the readers to pitch in here, if they do know or can find out if Gaumukh, Gangotri, etc is a safe destination at this point. Please do share what you know.

Anyone planning for this trek this month end is also welcome to join. I'm looking for companions.

Get answers to your questions about Gangotri
More Gangotri Topics