We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

Hello,

We'll be taking a ferry from Amorgos to Piraeus (in July), which should arrive in Piraeus at 15:00. There seem to be buses from Athens to Delphi at around 17:30 and 20:00. How would I get from Piraeus to the correct bus station (Terminal B?)? Does this seem possible in the amount of time I have? I'd prefer to take the earlier bus, but I don't know if the schedule is too tight. Thanks for your help.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

It seems doable to me if no delays exist and if light packed :)

Arriving at Piraeus at 15:00 you can take a 17:30 bus from Terminal B ( Liossion Terminal ).

You can take the metro downtown and then hop off at some central station to take a taxi to Terminal B.

Taking Green line from Piraeus at appx 15:20 you 'll be at "Agios Nikolaos" station at appx 16:00. Bad thing is that Terminal B is a good 15 minutes walk from there, so either you walk - which is a quite long walk - or take a taxi.

It has some difficulties but it's doable even for the 17:30 bus to Delphi, even if this means taking a cab all the way from Piraeus.

I am sure other locals will assist on this one in no time :))

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

Thanks Nick! I have two questions: About how much should a taxi cost if I take it from that metro stop to the bus station? Also, do you think it would be ok to buy the tickets for the bus right when we get to the bus station or should we buy it a week earlier when we're in Athens? (There will be four of us.)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

It seems quite a task to prebuy but it sounds as a good idea to me, for two reasons:

1. Securing a seat. Probably it will not be busy, but busy or not, it would be annoying to actually get in time but find no available seats :)

2. Second reason is to actually test your route. Dedicate 90 minutes to do the ride and walk to the terminal from Agios Nikolaos.

Most locals know the terminal as "Ktel Lamias" while 0.001% of us know it as "Bus Terminal B".

Taxi from "Aghios Nikolaos" station should be in the 2 - 5 euros range for the ride, depending your luggage.

This is one of the most "stubborn" areas to reach since the walk is long from the nearest station. Future users will enjoy a brand new bus terminal at Northern areas of Athens but for the time being we all have to use this one for Lamia, Delphi and adjacent areas.

4. Re: Feasible to Go From Amorgos to Delphi in a Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 13:18