We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

Hello all:

My wife and I are starting the serious planning for our first trip to Greece in May 2008...we are vterans of European travel..we fly direct to Athens from New Yoprk, Newark or Philadelphia....we are culture,history and beauty lovers...less interested in nightlife except for truly experiencing the cuisine and customs of the country we are visiting...we love to walk and explore...we can spare a little over two weeks..I was thinking

Athens 4 days/nights....day trip to Delphi

Nauplio 3 nights...Mycenae, Epidaurus Olympia? side trips

then to the Cyclades

ferry to: Mykonos 2 days/nights so we can see Delos

ferry to: Naxos 3 days/nights

ferry to Santorini/Thira 4 days/nights

fly Santorini-Athens back to the States

We would love to see Meteora as well but that looks like an overnight from Athens...would you sacrifice a day or two somewhere else on this itinerary (Naxos?) or save it for a hopeful but not certain future trip?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

hi.

your plans sounds very ambitious! i hope you'll find sometime for rest and relaxation.however you have chosen to visit some of the most beautiful parts of greece.if i were in your shoes i would skip meteora for some other time.

also i would advise you to stay 3 nights in athens at the beggining of your trip and save the last day/night for athens also.in this way your trip back home will be more relaxed.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

I agree :)

Nevertheless, despite that it seems tentative at first sight, it is balanced, giving you both mainland and islands.

I see one - two possible glitches.

What about the visits to Delphi / poss. Meteora and to Mycenaes / Epidavros / Olympia ? Are you going to do it on an organised tour or by rented car. It seems possible to me that it can be done if using Athens as basis and going to organised tours, like:

Day 1: Arrival

Day 2: Athens all day

Day 3 - Day 4: Delphi - Meteora, overnight out of Athens, evening in Athens, spending the night back in Athens at Day 4.

Day 5 - Day 6: Nafplion / Mycenaes / Epidavros. overnight out of Athens, evening in Athens, spending the night back in Athens at Day 6.

Day 7: Depart morning to Mykonos by plane. Organizing your trip so early, you have all the time to book low fares on Aegean, cheaper than ferry itself. Much better choice and cutting time.

Day 8: Mykonos

Day 9: Depart to Naxos by catamaran.

Day 10 - Day 11: Naxos.

Day 12: Depart by big ferry to Santorini. Now it's time to take the conventional ferry ( to exploit views ) rather than a cat. Keep in mind that half day will be the ferry trip. Still, i think it's worth of it.

Day 13 - Day 14 - Day 15: Santorini, late might fly back to Athens by Aegean again.

Day 16: Athens in the morning, fly back :)

So, i propose 3 minor adjustments:

1. Use Athens all the way as your base for the first part of the trip, doing 2 side tours, in order to include Meteora. Spending evenings in Athens.

2. Fly to Mykonos instead of ferrying.

3. Cat to Naxos instead of ferrying.

4. Fly back to Athens from Santorini.

5. Spend last night in Athens ( typical in order to avoid any last minute changes ).

Nick :)

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

thank you both for your help and Nick your suggestions look very logical...we have learned in France and Italy to take time during the day...at cafes are beautiful spots with a picnic to watch the world go bye ...so using our time and travel wisely in order to have time to enjoy the day is so important...and again Nick Arch thank you for your careful and thoughtful reply...we will study your suggestions and when we start to book you'll probably hear from us again....I just know how helpful the local expert was for a first trip to Venice...another very unique place...we cannot wait to see your spectacular country..

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

one more thing Yes Nick I would think we would take organized tours,,,I have become quite comfortable driving in Europe but we have also discovered the great value of a knowledgeable guide when visiting truly historic places (Venice etc)..so I see that some of the organized tours are well recommended on this site and that would seem to make the most sense for us for Delphi, Meteora etc...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

Thank you for your kind words :) All contributors here, local experts or not have to offer a lot :)

Keep the Aegean Airlines tip. . .

Booked it early? it goes around 45 per flight.

Booked it last minute? it goes around 110 per flight.

So, it's worth of an early booking. Booking means at least 4 months before or even earlier.

You 'll also see that search for hotels will be something else to cover. So, keep this tip too: Spend less in Athens hotel choice in order to spend more in Santorini hotel choice:)

Athens is mostly about walking and covering the ancient sites + feeling the vibe of the city. All what most people need is a clean bed in a super convenient location ( or a super hotel cashing miles out - lol )

On the other hand, Santorini needs a good hotel choice, in order to have this spectacular veranda + view which most people search for :)

Ooh, and a trip to Greece needs a camera with a big storage card :) It's really a very attracting country : ) enjoy :)

6. Re: Itinerary help Nick Arch and others advice sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 20:20