We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heatwave

new jersey
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heatwave

Is anyone able to give an honest on the spot opinion of the heatwave in Greece...Is it bearable to go to Athens at this time or would it be better to postpone a trip until later??Thanks .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heatwave

CNN just had a spot on this today....Greece, Italy, experiencing record breaking heat...up to 111F!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heatwave

it is nice to experience the night during this time of the year

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heatwave

I was in Athens three days ago, during the heatwave. Honestly, it was REALLY hot and it was difficult to do a lot during the day. We took frequent rests and then walked around the city and went to the Acropolis. Hard to know about postponing because a heatwave can break at any time. If I had a choice of visiting during the heat (I didn't) or waiting, I'd wait. The high temperatures were the only thing my family didn't like about our trip. Everything else was great!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heatwave

You cannot predict when a heatwave will come. They always last about 2 - 4 days and are out.

3 days ago it was a freaking 110F, this morning it was a 78F and will go up just to 95.

If we want to be honest: It is bearable but it is not pleasant. Needs adjustments on daily routine or things to do. For example, it is silly arriving in Athens and going to the Acropolis at 2 pm, when the whole site is open from 8 am.

Unfortunately heatwaves are sometimes a reality here. Good things: They don't happen every year / they are not permanent / they are not accompanied by high humidity like in the Caribbean.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heatwave

Right now it is perfect, it is windy not to hot and Athens is getting emptier (Athenians vacationing) by the day. As Nick says, you can not know when a heat wave will come. We had two this year until now, one lasted 5 days and went up to 47c the other one lasted for 2 days and reached 45c. Usually they know 5 days in advance when a heat wave is coming. Last time we had this high temperatures was in 1987.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heatwave

Athens is getting emptier :)) yoo hoo :)) at last city belongs to those lucky to visit or stay.

Athens in August is a really different city - to the better :) temps are usually lower than July and half people are gone.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heatwave

It is like a big play ground in August! You could go skateboarding down Solonos street! :0)))

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heatwave

Well, i am not good on this, lol - i would be a public danger :)))

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heatwave

Now there is a topic for another post...skateboarding! I was astounded at all the "boarders" last trip in Syntagma...we sat and watched, and enjoyed them...Greece is a natural with all that marble! I would love to see you skateboarding Nick!!!! LOL

10. Re: Heatwave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:15