We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in Sept 2008

Toronto
4 posts
Save Topic
Greece in Sept 2008

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post!

I have been reading around through all the posts for Greece as I am in the process of planning a Sept '08 honeymoon. We are planning to be in Greece for approximately 12 days. I have noticed that for first timers it appears that a plan would be to go to Myknonos, Santorini and perhaps Naxos or Paros and ending in Athens. Is this accurate? Please let me know and if you have any travel trips on hotels would love to hear - we are looking to spend approx 150 Euros a night. Thanks so much!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

hi.

first of all i wish you all the best!

a very classic route as you already mentioned is athens-mykonos-santorini-another island-athens.

in my opinion it is more than o.k.

in greece you can find many hotels in your price range in every destination.you can rely on trip advisor's reviews on hotels.in this price range you can find 4 and 3 star hotels in greece.i believe it is better to visit a travel agency in your country and if there is one that specializes for trips in the mediterrannean.see what they'll tell you before starting booking everything by yourself.you might find it easier this way for a trip like this.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

No, it is not accurate to assume that plan at all, even if you are a first timer. It might be true if you are American. The rest of the world, in particular European countries have Mykonos and Santorini quite a way down the popularity list.

Direct European charter flights (May-Oct) to some islands make other islands much more popular. e.g. Crete, Corfu, Rhodes, Kos.

My first island hopping trip was to Paros, Naxos and Ios, via a flight to Athens. This was by choice, no internet to con/influence people.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

Santorini and Mykonos are popular among American visitors, and probably the most known.

There is always a reason on this, call it heavy advertising or promotion. I can see certain and many "good things" on them, while Santorini is always one of my most favorite spots.

Nevertheless, Greece has over 100 islands that are offered for a vacation and each one has its own fans.

If you see which islands attracts which visitors, you may find a number of reasons on it.

US originating visitors "tend" to go to Santorini / Mykonos and perhaps Rhodes, Crete and Paros / Naxos.

Santorini has been heavily promoted back in the '60s as one of the first destinations cruise ships of these decade approached. There is even a Lionel Richie song back in the '80s which has a Greece calendar at the background with Santorini on it. It is a very very attractive island and it could not be different since we are speaking about a unique destination. Not many places in the worlds happen to have a crescent like shape with an inner sea in the middle and a semi slept volcano just right in the center :)

Mykonos draws its hype from a quite intense nightlife / paparazzi style though / and a very attractive central town. Mykonos has heavily re-hyped in US market after the final scene on "The Bourne Identity 1". Check the DVD, you 'll love this scene :)

On the other hand European visitors tend to go to other destinations. UK visitors always have a soft spot in their heart for Eptanissa chain at Ionian Sea ( Corfy, Lefkas, Zante and so on ).

Italians go to Ionian Sea but at other smaller Cycladic islands like Amorgos.

Truth is that Greece has an extreme diversity, regarding its small geographical size.

On a September honeymoon, which is still a fully operative season, you don't have to restrict yourselves at these islands. They are for sure the most popular, or let's say widely known at American visitors, nevertheless, we are speaking about a whole bunch of other islands, nearby or not which for many people offer many more in lower prices. Do some extensive reading. Perhaps something else sparkles your interest too. For sure, this has to be a doable, sensible island hopping, so restricting on one of the islandic complexes always makes sense.

----------------------------------------------------

Bottomline: yes, many first time visitors tend to go to Santorini and Mykonos. Many return again at following years and either do the exactly same islands or taste different "more experienced" choices.

i'd say Santorini is a must. It's not the most traditional island Greece can offer. Nevertheless, it is one of the most photogenic, if not the most :)

Mykonos is a double side knife. Yes, it's attractive. Nevertheless many people say it has become expensive. My best friend Annita always "loves" this island and wants us to go at least for a weekend to "see and be seen". My sister does not even want to listen about it, dreaming about less known and quaint Amorgos.

My tips:

- Ask yourselves what you really want. Cyclades island chain has numerous accessible islands, so you don't have to restrict yourselves at the most popular choices.

- Santorini is always a spot i want to see every year :) Expensive accommodation but i think it;s worth on a honeymoon.

- Double think on Mykonos. It's an attractive destination, expensive though.

- Do some research regarding Milos, Sifnos. These are at Western Cyclades. Quaint Folegandros also can be researched.

- Paros, Naxos are always at the Santorini ferry path. Its one has its fans. I like Naxos beaches more.

- Allow yourselves at least 2 - 4 nights at each place. Packing / unpacking is not always a good thing. Less is more on a Greece trip :)

At at 12 days trip i would think of Athens and 2 or 3 islands.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

oopsie! and welcome in TA and Greece forum :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

I agree...you have time to do your research and see what attracts you! The options are mind-boggling and although it is true that most Americans hit these top 2 isles first..it does come with a reason..other than being the most advertised here, it IS a haul with limited options crossing the Atlantic..unlike living IN Europe and being able to hop over on a direct to a variety of isle options in about 4 hours! .... Santorini, regardles and IMO, is a definite 'must-see' in a lifetime..incredible! As for an additional choice, it's practical to keep it on the same 'route' which includes Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, etc..Sept is about the best time..weather perfect as well as Seas for swimming after being sun-kissed all Summer long:) As for hotels, you have numerous options within your budget in Athens ... you can start looking at some popular ones like the Amazon, Attalos, Athens Gate..In Santorini would suggest finding something in lovely romantic Oia..perfect for a honeymoon:) Again, read the Forums on the places of interest..as well as property reviews:) Have fun planning this special event..and Enjoy!

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

Thank you for the message - very helpful!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

Litsa you are so right we are lucky in the UK we are spoilt for choice of greek islands we can go to and be there within 4 hours i have had over the years the luxery of going to a lot of greek island and i must say i have been to Santorini lovely island but not one of my favourite not much of the greek hospitality there i thought that is my personal opinion my favourite islands is Skiathos and western Crete the chania end what is happening in the UK is that they are cancelling a lot of the greek islands from regional airports.I do think whilst i am watching tv and you see Malta Spain Turkey etc advertising their countries Greece never does and we hear there is not as many tourists going to the greek islands it is not as cheap as it use to be once the euro started but that does not bother me as i love greece but their tourist board should advertise it more in the countries where it is popular.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

Lesleywood, those of us NOT from the UK are of two minds about all those cheap charter flights to Greek islands.

Sometimes it seems that a lot of UK holiday-makers view the Greek Islands the way that many US people view South Florida or Puerto Rico. They simply want the very cheapest place to find sun, sand and parties. When a destination is only 3-4 hours away, people think of it as a beach, not a different land with a culture to experience.

This has given rise to massive "package-tour hell" in formerly lovely places such as Kos, the North Coast strip of Crete east of Heraklion and resort areas just outside of Rhodes Town. Endless rows of concrete-block units, bars, "lager louts," "Full English Breakfasts" etc. They don't want to experience any "greekness" - they just want sunshine surrounded by Brits & beer. NOTE: USA folks are no better, just spend more! -- lots of them want lovely scenery whilst being surrounded by lots of Yanks, eating steaks and buying expensive gold jewelry (think Mykonos town or Fira on Santorini).

Now, I know you're not among this type, because of where you mention going in Crete. You probably seek out smaller, quiet villages, and small tavernas with the old guys playing dominos on the square. I hope that the Greeks DON'T advertise these places in the UK or USA, or they'll inevitably change as well.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

agree with the comments above and Nick Litsa always give excellent advice

I would add that you may like to add the Peloponesse to your itinerary for a feel of the real greece

10. Re: Greece in Sept 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:20