We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Just seen it on the news about a earthquake in the Pelponesse area of Greece hope everybody is alright i know a lot of area in Greece is suseptable to earthquakes saying that it does not put me off from going to Greece

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Hello Lesley!

Thank you so much for asking and caring, it is not a good day for Greece today.

Some houses are collapsed, many are damaged, two people have died and 20 or so are in the hospital. Many more are slightly injured.

Lots of people will not be able to return to their homes at all, others must fix all damages before going in again.

Hotels are already hosting some of the homeless, others will sleep in tents or stay with relatives.

There were 12 aftershocks up to 10pm.

Thanks again for showing interest!

Regards to Newcastle!

Thalia

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Thanks for the update, Thalia. I was shocked to just hear of this. I hope those displaced can soon be back in their homes.

Susan

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

We were lucky to say that the earthquake damages was less than could cause......

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Indeed. Things are evolving good. It seems that this was a big one which 40 years ago would cause a nightmare.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

It ain't over yet. A strong aftershock of approximate magnitude 5.5-6.0 is expected probably in this week and no later than 3 months or so. The aftershock sequence in these cases may extend to a period of 2 more years. Buildings that have already suffered even minor damages are more susceptible to a strong aftershock, which can even cause more damages than the main shock.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Yes, this is how quakes behave :)

Still, we have to admit that a 6.5 would have caused even more serious damages down there many yrs ago.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

Agree. The Greek building code is one of the best in the world regarding earthquake resistance, as long as it's strictly followed, and has saved a lot of lives since the 1978 Thessaloniki earthquake (the first major update of the 1959 code took place 6 years after this event). The latest one has very strict provisions for new buildings, making civil engineers happier (they have more chances to play with their software), architectural engineers unhappy (with all those thick walls, reinforced concrete and other ugly stuff) and the rest of us a bit safer.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

lol

Even as an architect, i am quite happy with added regulations. If someone cannot embed these things into a good plan, then he 'd better go preparing hot-dogs / not i have anything with hot-dogs, still you get the meaning :)

I have made my homework :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

6.5 is very high, I was just reading that there has not been one that strong since the 1800's. I think that most people forget how prone Greece is to earthquakes, you've got fault lines running all over the place haven't you?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there much damage from earthquake in the pelponesse

6.5 is high, but not VERY high. There have been several earthquakes of this or greater magnitude, so this 1800's thing is not accurate.

There are many faults all over Greece, but tha main active ones are aligned along some well known areas where special building regulations are in place. Actually, more than 95% of the earthquake energy released in Europe is released in Greece. Nevertheless, new buildings are very safe, that's why fatalities are minimal in Greece compared to, say, Turkey, where building standards are lower.

We know that we can't stop earhtquakes, nor can we predict them, so we know that being prepared is the best defence.