We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Greece for a few months?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Greece for a few months?

Ok.. So.

I am going to start looking in to moving to Greece for a few months. It wont be for about.. a year, soooo I have a lot of time to do some research, well not just some. A LOT.

I want to be near Athens. I dont have to be right in Athens, Just nearby. Possibly on an island nearby. Not sure. But I definately do want to be near Athens so I can go there whenever I want. I wont have a car so somewhere that I can get to Athens by bus or metro.

How many times did I say Athens in that paragraph??

I have no idea how this would workI guess since I cannot finance a move like this WITHOUT working while I am there, I would have to apply for a working Visa lol.

Just to be clear, I am not looking at this as a vacation. I want to live there, become like a local.

Any advise will be much apreciated. I of course will be doing a million hours of research. But any tips or suggestions on where to look in to moving.. Would be GREAT.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Can I advise you no to?

Cause I am -advising you not to! (sorry!)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

ok..

Can you PM me why i shouldnt?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

No need to PM you!

Cause your "myth" will vanish!

Greece is a very beautiful place. Wanna come evry year for your vacation? Do it!

But living and working here is cruel and I would not advise anyone to do it. Even we, who were used to it, start to feel more and more tired. It's getting worse day by day.

You will hate it and it will be a pity!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Well.. I know I would NEVER be able to afford to come back to greece ever year. Probably not even next year if it is for a vacation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Hello TA people. I want and EDIT button on these dang forums!!!!!!! And stop making it so that my words cant all be in CAPITALS.

That was supposed to be ** every year**

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Thank God I'm so smart and I got the meaning! LOL!

I know that. I meant, if it's a holiday you will never be sick of this place no matter how often you come!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Well, to be fair, I've heard the same thing going back 15+ years...Greece is nice to visit, but not quite as nice to live in!

The truth is that salaries are fairly low and, in recent years, prices have gone up sharply.

Still, I think that it all depends on the individual and what they want out of life. I personally know several people that have moved back to Greece permanently and are happy with their decision. I know others who made the move, didn't like it, and returned to the U.S.

Certainly, to be objective, things have been getting worse not just in Greece but in most countries over the past few years. Prices have risen sharply everywhere, not just for gas/petrol, but food, housing, utilities, transport, you name it. Unemployment and inflation are beginning to plague numerous countries, even the United States, where unemployment jumped 0.5% in one quarter and is expected to jump another 0.5% this quarter. Not to get into a political discussion, as that is not the point of this forum or this thread, but I just think it's a sign of the times almost everywhere, and Greece is just one of the countries that's getting hit especially hard at the moment.

I think Prime's biggest hurdle in moving to Greece would be to get a working visa. EU rules make it very difficult for non-EU citizens to move in and get jobs. The policy pretty much is that if there's a job opening, and a citizen of any one of the 27 EU member-states is capable of performing that job, then an EU citizen will always be hired over a non-EU citizen. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to find work, but it's certainly very difficult, and from what I understand, jobs that might be available may involve working "off the books" or summer work in islands like Mykonos or Ios, in a bar or club or restaurant or hotel. I don't know further details but I do know that EU rules are a hurdle.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

well, lets just forget I made this thread. I will go to ireland instead.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

Prime, think of it this way:

If you are giving up this easily, maybe you didn't want it so much in the first place!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Greece for a few months?

nope, I didnt give up.

i just gave up on this thread. Cause I dont want to hear dont come, cause I am coming no matter what. I will just do all of the research myself