We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Well, the phone rang at home two weekends ago and on the other end of a crackling line were "Ma and Pa in-law" who have the unfortunate and unenviable lifestyle that means they get to live on their yacht in and around Greece for most of the year.

"Do you fancy a change of scenery?", they asked, "we are in Athens with a rental car, how about flying out to meet us, we'll then drive back to Fiskardo where the boat is moored".

The bag was packed within 15 seconds, managed to book a flight within half an hour, and off we went. Unfortunately, time constraints dictated that we would be unable to spend any time in Athens and the opportunity to meet up with the local "Crazy gang" ( you know who you are...!) but there's always next time.

Ma and Pa were there at the airport to meet us as promised and off we drove through the lovely Greek countryside to Kefalonia via Lefkada.

The island is as beautiful as ever: lush, green, welcoming and warm. Rather surprisingly, Ma and Pa had never visited Ithaca so we sailed to Frikes early on the second day, rented a car and I had the distinct delight of chauffering them around the switchback roads of this stunningly scenic, rustic and friendly little island. Anogi, Exogi, Stavros,Vathy, the monastery of Katharon and the jewel in Ithaca's crown, Kioni.

The other days were spent loitering in the streets of Fiskardo although we did take a car down to Assos for lunch at the wonderful "Nefeli's" on the waterfront, scene of many a previous "eat-a-thon" on earlier visits to the island. The freshly-caught sea bass filled the plate leaving no space for the vegetables. The restaurant's cats gathered silently beneath the table, eagerly anticipating a feast-to-come so their good behaviour was rewarded with some juicy tidbits.

This island is just perfect and I usually have trouble conveying my love for the place - words aren't enough sometimes to put the feelings onto paper. Odysseus always hankered for his swift return to Ithaca and we feel that same way about Kefalonia.

We went to most of the usual haunts, met some old pals, shared too much local wine and too many terrible old jokes, swapped travelling stories, and soaked up the relaxing atmosphere. With just 5 full days, it was always going to be a whirlwind trip but sat here now at home, looking out the window at the dreadful July weather, makes me realise how lucky we are.

Oh no, I feel yet another attack of "Odysseus Syndrome" washing over me. I should have been born a Greek I think..........

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Indeed you did! You have responsibilities here, you know??!! Good for you dear & glad you had a good one. I just received a text from TH that contained quite inappropriate swear words, so I can't repeat word for word; something along the lines of being *extremely* cold & am I sure it's July? Lol! I'm sure a good proportion of England asked the same thing last yr, whilst watching the contents of their house being washed down the road! Ah, Britain - welcome home GB!! How is it in the Shire?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Those are the best kind of trips GB:-)) No planning, anticipation, etc...Just grab a flight and off you go!! I'm full of smiles reading your report:-)) Need I say I'm overjoyed you ENJOYED!

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Gb

You did the only thing you could do under the circumstances, upsetting the in-laws by refusing their offer to join them is never a good idea!.

Sound like you had a good trip, its great to read other holiday reports to get ideas for holidays.

Im with you on the "should have been born a greek thing". I wish I was born in greece also. Its a fantastic place as are the people.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Thanks guys - it's always great to get feedback from you all. Oh to spend all my days on Kefalonia and Ithaca forever...........................

It might sound a bit of an "anorak" thing to say, but all I missed about the UK was the daily session here on the boards. A week away leaves a lot to catch up with!

I take it Thalia is eating her way around London right now? - that would explain the local paper's headline this morning concerning "food shortages"...:0)

Horsham,UK
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Oh, GB, that's not very gentlemanly! That poor girls got enough to put up with.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

You're truely noble to sacrifice your time to visit your in-laws! Sounds like a great trip- glad you had fun. Poor Thalia- hope she isn't suffering too much!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Yes mitsa BUT in-laws with a boat and in Greece??? Who could possibly refuse such an offer?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Great report, if not a bit upsetting as I sit here looking at grey overcast skies- again.

Your point about being born in Greece made me wonder, do we love Greece so much because we were born in a country famous for rain, poor food and generally being ripped off? Compared to Greece's blue skies, traditional locally produced food and citizens renowned for their joy of life (I know there are always exceptions to this).

Had we been born in Greece, would we long for misty moors, pork pies and another conversation about youth crime?

Do you Greeks realise how lucky you are ? I suspect you visit other countries just to laugh at us poor people, who can only visit.

Well it's better than sitting here thinking about Sensatori on Sea !!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Ha GB, I take it you did the right thing & married into a bit of money! (LOL, please don't click inappropriate!) Well yes, TH is very busy eating but she is not liking the sitting out in the cold having a fag bit much, she just texted to say she is off to a Burberry outlet, so that should cheer her up a bit! All being well, I shall be enjoying her company on Wednesday & she will be made up to hear that she's missed :))

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sneaking off without telling anyone!!

Hi Stoog

Obviously, I wouldn't want to infringe upon your planned day with Thalia, but where are you guys meeting up? I'm out and about most days of the week and it would be wonderful to meet you both, even if just for a short while....