We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

A link to an article in today's NY Times detailing new findings about the Antikythera Mechanism, complete with a link to an explanatory video: nytimes.com/2008/…

I remember seeing this in the NAM! [The mechanism, that is, not the article. :)]

Susan

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

I should add that geek is not meant as an insult. My kids wear the term as a badge of honour.

Susan

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

Thanks for the infos Susan...I have read it in the newsparer Kathimerini....Yes this mechanism is consider to be the first computer of the ancient years...some people the period they found it believed it was a UFO thing....: ))

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

I sent this link on to friends... It's just another indication of the wealth of knowledge that was "lost" needlessly, when Constantine the Great decided to suppress libraries, academies, etc in the 4th century in order to destroy the "pagan culture." It took another thousand years, until 1300-1400, for the West to even BEGIN the road back.

One wonders, if the Western World had not been forced to RE-learn all this knowledge, how much farther along we might be in human and technological evolution. Perhaps we might already have developed a sustainable, environmentally-friendly alternate energy resource?? Now we'll never know.

4. Re: Geeky Greeks: update on the Antikythera Mechanism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 18:17