We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go ???

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
where to go ???

hi weve been to santorini, parga , lefkas, skiathos, samos love to go to quiet places but not too quiet!!! love a harbour lined with tavernas so you can people watch any recomendations??? thanks hoping to go 2nd week of sept. we are both in our forties.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go ???

In my opinion Naxos will be ideal for you. Here are some albums for a preview if you like ("Lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow"):

Naxos island

http://tinyurl.com/263q4g

Naxos Town

http://tinyurl.com/2fwa8m

Naxos Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/2bb44p

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go ???

Paros is Great!! Its quiet, but not too quiet. And you can take a day trip around Antiparos.

You can visit Parikia or Naoussa, the two main ports. Parikia is the one with the ferry port. Each has a strip of tavernas along the water, and is totally gorgeous at night. I loved Paros. If was a nice relaxing spot to stay after mykonos!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go ???

Here's another GREAT slide show of Naxos --

(NOTE: as the first photo comes up, click on it and little menu appears; speed up the slide change to 3 seconds, and it's almost like a mini-movie)...

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

The friends who made this stayed in St. George beach, which is directly adjacent to Naxos Town and its harbor crescent of taverns cafes, shops etc, then after dinner a 5 minute stroll back to your hotel, quiet at night... If you want to explore the other beaches, they are 10 minutes away by the half-hourly busses. Rent a car for a day, and tootle all over the island; lovely mountain villages, stunning scenery, ancient sites.

In sept., night life is mainly in Naxos town -- clubs, even a jazz bar. Weekly concert up in courtyard of the high "kastell." Best restaurant -- To Kastro -- high above town on a terrace, dine by parapet overlooking port and sea and sunset. Enjoy!!

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go ???

Hello-Milos is a wonderful island to visit-the geology is incredible-it is still very much a working mining island and the 'round-the-island' 9 hour, 1 day boat trip is a memory I will forever treasure. Adamas is the main port and has a lovely waterfront where you can sit, eat, drink and people-watch the working fishing boats, yachts, and tour boats as well as the travelling ferries. The town is relaxed and much quieter than most islands-meaning fewer scooters, fewer shops,but enough of everything. The bus service from town is excellent and there are 2 beaches-one at either end of town. Stayed there a week in June and it was such a great place to be-we kayaked, and spent most days doing our favorite hobby, photography, in nearby Plaka-15 minutes on the bus. Driving is easy and sane.

Even at this late date if you mean this September for your trip, likely you can find accommodation. the tourist office is across the street from the ferry dock. Prices are excellent on Milos as well. Best of luck.

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go ???

Thanks everyone for your info. I too want to visit an island like sweetypie2 described. I was thinking about 4 days Santorini and 3 days Naxos. Does that sound good? I'll be with my husband and two teens next July. I will also look into Paros. Can I fly back to Athens from Naxos?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go ???

Virginia, it sounds better to have 3 days Santorini, 4 days Naxos. Santorini is about nightlife in july and the beaches are (sorry) black and gritty, and I think the teens would not have as much fun. Go for the view and then leave! Did you look at that slide show of Naxos?? Lots more to see & do. Santorini is 12 miles long -- Naxos is the 2nd largest island in all the Cyclades. Santorini is super-dry; they have to desalinate water. Naxos is a green fertile island -- one of the best for hiking; here's a hiking link:

http://www.cycladen.be/NaxosEng.htm

Another plus is, Teens want to be independent, and you want to let them be, safely. YOur whole year, you are stuck driving them around in the car. IN Naxos, If you stay at St. George Beach (Ag Giorgios), which is driectly adjacent to Naxos Town, they can WALK everywhere, and it is safe safe safe.

HOtels are right on the beach or a bit back from it, with a pool or not, depending on your budget. There are water sports (wind-surfing, boating) on that beach ... also if you ride, there's a Naxos stable where u can ride horses along a distant beach in the am. When your family goes to dinner at a taverna in Naxos town & u and husband want to linger over coffee, the kids can skedaddle and find some fun, back at the beach.

Do some research. Here's a map of Naxos Town showing ST. George -- 5 oher superb beaches are accessible via 10-minute bus ride.

naxos-greece.net/villages/TOPOGRAFIKO.HTML

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go ???

How about a Cephalonia-Ithaca combo?

Or Syros, which is beautiful in Spring and Fall.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go ???

Hi therre

Indeed, Kefalonia ans Ithaca would fit the bill. Kefalonia has wonderful scenery, great beaches and some pleasant harbour town/resorts such as Agia Efimia, Fiskardo and very peaceful Assos. You can comfortably see the island's main sights inside 3-4 days and you could then consider spending a couple on Ithaca which can be reached by passenger ferry from Fiskardo and car ferry from Sami.

Ithaca is up there as one of my own favourite islands and it retains it's traditional charm with it's rustic villages and unhurried way of life. If anything it's even more scenic than Kefalonia. You could look at Vathy, the capital town, or somewhere such as Frikes and Kioni for a couple of day's stay.

For an overview plus 50 or so photos of Kefalonia, go the the Inside pages for the island here on TA.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to go ???

Plus, in the Arhaeological Museum of Ithaka is the ONLY proof that Odysseus was a real person!

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to go ???

Thank you so much for all your great suggestions. I will look everything up and decide. I think it will probably be Naxos for its proximity to Santorini. Yes, it does sound better that we spend a little bit more time in Naxos than Santorini. This website and all of you are great!