We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece for 2 days in June ?

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Topic
Greece for 2 days in June ?

Hey there ! I'll be living in Italy next summer with my best friend, and we are toying with the idea of taking an easyjet flight to Greece. It looks like we could get one from Milan to Mykonos for pretty cheap. But, because we will be on tight student budgets, we could only stay 2 days, 3 days max. Should we stay in Mykonos, or try to get to another island? We've been to Athens before and seen the Parthenon (amazing!), but we've never seen the islands. Is such a short trip worth it? Any help and advice would be great ! Also, are there youth hostels in Mykonos? And, how easy is transportation? Can we walk all over? Thanks !

-Belle

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

I would personally choose a different island. Although Mykonos is my favorite, it is one of the more expensive islands. I would choose an island closer to Milan. Like, Corfu, or Ithaca.. Maybe Zakynthos.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

ok, well, what about other islands that are close to Mykonos, that we could get to easily by ferry? The easyjet flight from Italy only flies into either Athens or Mykonos. Is Santorini toooo far away? What are some accessible islands that are moderately priced, and close to Mykonos? We would like to be able to just explore and relax, maybe swim some, eat good food. We don't have to be all about the night life. Also, as mentioned above, we are on a budget. All of the islands look just breathtakingly gorgeous...but which ones?? Can anyone share or suggest an itinerary? Much thanks ! - Belle

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

With a max of 3 days, I would definitely just visit one island. A search on Hostelworld.com doesn’t turn up any hostels, but does come back with some (for Mykonos) cheap hotels: www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php… (Prime is right; Mykonos is very expensive.) I loved Naxos, which is about 1 – 2 ½ hours from Mykonos, depending on the speed of the ferry, and I certainly found prices in May very reasonable. It's got a great interior, full of traditional villages and some fascinating archaeological sites. We weren't a car for a day for 24 Euros, but I believe several of the interior villages can also be reached by bus. The chora itself is fascinating to wander, complete with cobbled streets, arches, and a Venetian castle.

Paros is closer, but I’ll still root for Naxos. (My judgement isn't really informed though; I’ve only glimpsed Paros from the deck of our ferry.) I’m not sure how far Santorini is, but it’s not the best island on a budget either.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

Hi there

If you are on a tight budget financially and have such little time, why not look at one of the Ionian islands which are, as has been mentioned, the closest to Italy? You can fly to Athens from where a regular bus service will take you to Argostoli in Kefalonia. The ride takes 4.5 hours and includes the crossing to the island. That way, you would see some of the countryside between Athens and the island.

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

Thanks to everyone ! I just looked at Naxos online and it looks pretty cool, so I'm definitely considering that. The problem with flying into anywhere but Mykonos is that the $50 flight isn't offered anywhere else, and I just couldn't bring myself to pay more when I knew I could get one for so cheap. However, after doing more research, I'm thinking that I may need 5 days, 2 to spend kind of mid-travel. I will just try to save enough money by June to include a more expensive excursion ! Also, I admit, I have been looking at pictures of Santorini, and I think I may have fallen under its spell ! I've never seen something so completely beautiful..so maybe I will look at flying into Mykonos on the cheap flight, but then taking the long ferry to Santorini and just splurging. Or, if money is still tight, then I'll look into the other island options. But thanks so much guys ! -Belle

6. Re: Greece for 2 days in June ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 12:18