We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poll on Luggage...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
777 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poll on Luggage...

Ok, looking to invest in a nice luggage set. I have done a bit of investigating through department stores and on their sites for ratings.

I would like it to withstand international travel (to places like Greece- of course!), yet have a few smaller pieces for weekend get-aways, etc.

I heard that for Greece, sometimes those with wheels don't really pay off as you end up dragging and carrying them due to steps.

Would like to get some insight from some of the fellow TA members:)

What brands do you suggest?

Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poll on Luggage...

Well, SpyderChick, you're stuck with me. Everyone else is too busy partying. I can't recommend a specific brand, but I can tell there are a lot of stairs and cobbled roads in Greece, so even with wheels, you will be hoisting a lot.

Frankly, I'm partial to the wheels, but everything I've been reading suggests that with size and weight limits becoming more restrictive, you're better off without them. They apparently add a whack load of weight.

Before I left, I bought a lightweight folding duffle that took up virtually no space, but was perfect for hauling back my anticipated loot. (In the end, I didn't need it. My only loot was some olive oil, raki, and a sheep's bell.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poll on Luggage...

Well, my first day in Athens.. Gas lugged my luggage around the city, even though I begged him not to. I think that wheels are a must. I mean, just ONE of my suitcases weighed 65lbs on the way home!!I had another smaller one, and a purse, AND a carry on. Ok, so I over packed.. I think a mid to large sized suit case is good for international travel, and then maybe a smaller suit case, that fits inside the big one.. maybe a duffle bag.. All I know is that when I go next time, its a medium suitcase with a small inside it, packed with all of my crap, then a small carry on for the clothes. Not a supersized bag, with a small suitcase, and a duffle bag..AND a purse ripping at the seams!!

Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poll on Luggage...

Before getting advice you need to say WHAT you want it for ... do you want a bag to CHECK, or one to carry on??

I've made out during SEVEN trips to greece with a 21" wheeled bag (TRavelpro) that has stood up to tons of steps and cobbles (have bmped it up all the way to top of Naxos town on stairstep streets). It also has handles. Yes it does weigh more. AND I paid a lot for it (180), didn't get it at Walmart but nothing has every broken not wheels, not handle not anything. So if you amortize... LESSON: Wheels are fine if you don't buy the cheapies.

If you're planning to start your greece visit with 2-3 days in Athens, you won't worry so much about delayed luggage. However, if you plan to land and then immediatelly take a ferry, plane or bus to another Greece destination, you can't risk a bag not landing with you. It happened to me, and --- NEver again! So, my 21" has done carry-on since.

HOWEVER -- with recent restrictions, I hear that even if your 21" bag fits into the "box" at check-in, once you get on the plane a stewardess might make you check it (because with todays crammed overhead bins, they look askance at 21" hardsiders). So if you -- like me -- dont want to be forced to check a bag (loss or delay fears), there are 2 ways to go.

(A) Soft-side (duffle type) 21" bags WITH WHEELS ... weigh less, and not as likely to get "bumped" to check, as above. Trade-off... more awkward to pull or carry.

(B) --19" Stiff-side With Wheels. This is what I'm looking for now. I compensate with having

1== a "personal Bag" that is as laaarge as I can get away with (I stuff my daybag inside, also all kinds of other things)

2-- A foldup bag that's only 4 x4 in my 19" that zip-opens up into a big blag 18 x 18 bag w shoulder strap... used as beach bag/laundry bag etc.

-- and on the way home I'd check the bigger bag. Who cares if your dirty clothes are delayed getting home.

4. Re: Poll on Luggage...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 08:18