We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek-American Relations

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Greek-American Relations

As of tonight, the United States is comitted to building a far better relationship with Greece, with all of Europe, with Africa, Asia and beyond. And, Yes we can. Yay!

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek-American Relations

Great words Jan.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek-American Relations

Hopefully that will be the case. Obama seems to have been a strong supporter of Hellenic issues during his time in the Senate. Whether that will translate over to his presidency remains to be seen (since obviously such things are not up to one person, in many cases not even one administration). Bill Clinton was also a president who seemed supportive of Hellenic issues (the Macedonia issue, the Cyprus issue, etc.) but very little ended up happening in reality, unfortunately.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek-American Relations

Allow me to also say that the Turkish lobby in the United States is very, very strong, well-funded and well-organized. Far better than the Greek lobby, despite the perception that some have that it is strong and effective. The Turkish lobby has done a great job pushing their positions in politics, in the media, and in academia. Their websites are slick and well-designed, they have a huge advertising presence, and have hired PR firms to handle their country's image in the States. All things which the Greek government and Greek lobby have not done as effectively or at all in some cases.

In order for Greece's relationship with the United States to improve and for serious issues like those in Cyprus and FYROM to be solved, it's going to take work on both sides, and that includes the Greek government and Greek lobby.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek-American Relations

What I really want to know is: I was told that the dollar to pound would be likely to rise briefly after the election - the window lasting for perhaps a week & then dropping straight back down to its cruddy rate again.....Can anyone say if this is likely to happen or just wishful thinking?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek-American Relations

Hopefully, the 80% of the Europeans who wanted Obama to win knew better cause the time has come for him to make it all as it should be!!!

Funny story: my grandmother told me yesterday that she wanted Obama to win, because McCain is VERY old.

Funny part of the story: she must be at least 15 years older than him, bless her!!!

Anyway, in this Forum we have great relations, so one less field for Obama to take care of!!!!

Gooooooooood morning everyone!

PAO RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek-American Relations

Does anybody really believe that one man can suddenly kiss & make everything better? I have quite a dim & cynical view on politics so it's probably best I say nothing - but, about this dollar rate anybody? I have some poundage sitting here waiting, but it wants better than 1.58 - is it likely to get it?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek-American Relations

I believe that if a man can make it so bad (Bush) then another man can certainly make it better.

If I see my mum later I'll ask about the rate. Let me get this straight: you have dollars and want to sell them and buy pounds?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek-American Relations

Sorry Stoog,

It's gone down a couple of cents today, but the £ has also gone down against the euro, which is bad news for me!

I wish I had a crystal ball!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek-American Relations

If Thalia is right & you want to change $ to £ you will be slighly better off today, but I would still love a crystal ball!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek-American Relations

No. I have pounds wanting to turn into dollars but....I had heard the rate was set to rise for a short time once the election was done with, it is still rubbish at the time of writing so I'm really wondering what to do. I do not go until May of 09, by which time it could be much worse or better??? Do I start changing now, or wait....it's a silly, unanswerable question I know. I can't remember it ever being lower than 1:1.50, so it surely can't drop much more. Grim, should have done all this last year :((