We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Hello

This is my first time posting to this forum and I’m looking for some advice about using ferries to get to the Greek Islands please.

I’m at the very early stages of thinking about where I’d like to go on holiday to this summer and at present I’m thinking of a nice quiet Greek Island.

I’m assuming that the best way to get to one of

these islands is by ferry from Athens?

Does anybody know the easiest way for me to find out which islands are served by direct ferries from Athens and their frequency?

I don’t want to arrive by plane in Athens on a Monday only to find the first ferry to my holiday destination is not till say the Wednesday!!!

I did a very quick 'google search' and the ports where listed by their name and not the name of the Island they are on.

Thank you

PS If anybody knows of any lovely quiet Greek Islands where the night life is nothing more than a few drinks in local taverna and the island has lovely quiet sandy beaches then please private message me with that info thank you :-)

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

The easiest way to get the information that you're looking for is to buy a couple of food guide books - one for Athens and the mainland, and the other for the islands. Read them and you'll have a good idea of which islands mot interest you and you'll be able to search the ferry web sites.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Sorry - caught the type just as the page disappeared - that should be "good" guide books.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Thank goodness...LOL:-)))) Enjoy!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

When you ask about "lovely quiet Greek Islands" and your timing is only stated as "this summer" -- it is hard to give you advice.

Lots of islands are "lovely + quiet" when you go in June or even early July. But if you are planning to go during high season (Mid-July through Sept 1), then we would need to recommend more isolated islands, in order to offer the "lovely quiet sandy beaches" you require.

So, as a start, at least give us dates.

PS: Almost all islands are served by direct ferries from Piraeus, many of them several times a day. Again, it all depends on the dates.

Do you have a nearby bookstore or library? I suggest you take quick look at T. Cook's GREEK ISLAND HOPPING -- it is all about how to reach islands by ferry ... great visuals on the ferry routes.

Mentioned in this post
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

My holiday dates are approximately 5 Sep to 19 Sep.

I thought there may have been a useful website which detailed the frequency of ferries and which Greek Islands were served by the ferry and the cost of it.

Thank you for your help so far.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Hi there

Many of the smaller islands don't have airports hence they are served predominently by ferries from Piraeus which is the Port of Athens. Other islands are served by other various mainland ports such as Rafina and Patras. But if you decide upon an island with an airport, then the other solution is to fly from Athens. Every Greek island is within a 60 min flight from Athens and many are closer than that.

It would certainly get you to your island on the first day and seeing as you will be arriving in Greece at Athens airport, it makes sense and saves loads of time connecting directly to your island of choice.

Certainly not trying to put you off ferries, but just politely pointing out the flying option.

Mentioned in this post
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Port of Piraeus
Port of Piraeus
525 Reviews
Piraeus, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Rafina
Rafina
East Attica Region, Greece
Patras
Patras
Achaea Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Charlton Lady -- there ARE websites that will give you some ideas of the ferry service to various islands -- but FIRST you have to have some idea of the Island Groups, and how they are distributed across the Aegean. There is NOT some magical website with an alphabetical listing with columns saying "how frequent" "how Long" and "current fare."

As we keep saying, look at a guidebook, AND a good map. Here is an on-line one that shows all the islands ... but it takes a bigger map to grasp the distances.

www.travelswise.com/Map/Greece-Map-large.jpg

Then you have to consider the time/cost factors. For example, a ferry to a (beautiful, quiet)island like Samos, in the Northern aegean, could take as long as 13 Hours, and maybe cost @50 for cheapest fare. The Aegean Air "promotional rate" for early purchase for Sept 5 will cost €68E and get you there in 50 minutes. Same trip time/cost deal for an Ionic isle, Kefalonia which can be very serene after high-season crowds leave -- and u may even be able to get a charter flight there from a UK airport.

But dear, first you have to know what islands to ask about, and a guide book is the quickest way to brief yourself. Is there a big local bookstore where you can sit & browse guidebooks? Or your biggest local library...now THERE's a concept!

As I mentioned before, try GREEK ISLAND HOPPING. Another title, in the DK "EYEWITNESS" series, THE GREEK ISLANDS, is a very useful 'starter guide.' Gives very-pictorial/graphic overview of each isle's major attractions - and the flyleaf has a wonderful chart of the main ferry routes.

Go. Read. Come back with targeted queries. Have fun planning (and daydreaming) during this season of wretched weather!

Mentioned in this post
Aegean
Aegean
664 Reviews
Olympia, Greece
Samos
Samos
493 Reviews
Samos, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

Schedules are not usually listed till a couple of months prior anyway in most cases and Sept some of the schedules do change heading into their 'shoulder' 'season! Some sites you may want to check out once you know which isles you're interested in would be www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas/gr www.greekferries.gr/ Enjoy!

9. Re: Help with ferries from Athens to the Greek Islands please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:20