We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This will take you back...!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
This will take you back...!

I was cleaning up my bookshelves and found all my old travel "diaries"...the first one when I was 9 years old, and my Great Aunt in Athens gave me a blank book to write experiences of my summer in Greece. With that old, (and I mean old like 1967 old!) journal I just had to share some of this with you..It is travel related..at least historically, from ancient times (mine!)Our trip was for business/pleasure and our 6 weeks turned into 4 months (Greek government moved very slow in foreign

business those days..even slower than now)...

here are some of my pre adolescent observations..

"I cannot believe there is no TV anywhere"

"Thank God, Mom brought peanut butter"

"Greeks eat late..everynight we eat dinner after my bedtime, this is so cool"

...after a week there.. "why is there no Coke or Pepsi in this place? They have soda called TamTam, its like bad coke"

..."Mom and I took the yellow VW (rental) to Sounion, and Mom got pulled over..the cop said she was speeding, she did not get a ticket..he said not many women drive here"

..."it was really good, until they told me it was Octopus!"

..."4th of July... I can't believe the only place that has aircon is the Hilton Lobby and arcades..it is really hot"

My favorite spots for food (I grew up with 'foodies')

..Tudor Hall, Gerofinikas (with a tree in the middle), Ideal, Zonars, Flocas, and I keep writing about hamburgers and fries at the Hilton coffee shop!

and in my journal were the carbon copies bills of the hotels we stayed at... the recently completed, Esperia Palace with

conversion from drachma to US dollar (10 dollars a night w/breakfast)..The Diomia (now my old fave the Cypria), I wrote bad things about..i think I must have been getting homesick..plus I always hated that "old wing" LOL!..9 dollars a night for a double with breakfast! (I write like a spoiled brat here..and complain of an inside air shaft!)

I also found my journals from other Greek trips from 1967 to 1987...the funniest entries from my first trip solo at 17...and again the prices made me scream laughing..

My Mom sublet an apartment on Kapsali Street (Kolonaki)trip for 2 months, and paid a big 250 dollars a month for a furnished 2 bedroom apt! Now that was luxury! I am sure this post will get closed,

but I thought I would share some old "Papou" Johnnie

travel history!

...and, what ever happened to Gerofinikas restaurant, it was between Kolonaki and Parliament.

Have fun! Blizzard here today!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This will take you back...!

WOW...amazing john thanks for sharing..seems an other world ...

I couldnt imagine Greece witohut a coke...who could ever believe that now is the second largest producer of Coke after the central one at Atlanta...although seems the peoples' habits remain the same: )

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This will take you back...!

It's so funny to see what we thought as children! Thanks for sharing...

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This will take you back...!

Johnnie....That was an absolutely charming read, thank you for taking the time!! :O)

BTW I spent most of my childhood in the Middle East and Med from 1959 until 1973. I do wish I'd kept a diary now but didn't realize just how important memories are as you get older. Ofcourse, I can remember lots of general things... sights, smells, etc but the detail is not there! :O)

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This will take you back...!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing Johnnie! I can't believe you remember TamTam!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This will take you back...!

I'm glad I saw this before it gets squished!

The view of the world through a child's eyes, the most important things to worry about, tv, peanut butter & coke!

If only all life was that simple! Thanks for sharing Johnnie.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,776 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This will take you back...!

That is really cool - you must be ever grateful to your aunt! Do you still keep a journal of your travels? Does anybody? I always take a small notebook & write each evening a brief report - where we went, stayed, ate, what we ate, spent etc & random thoughts about the day. Always mean to write more, but even a little helps to keep the memories alive.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This will take you back...!

I tried on our last trip. Kept up with it for the first half, but after that....nothing. Finished as best we could when we got home, but it's just not the same. I'm going to try again this year. Hopefully I'll have better luck!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This will take you back...!

I stopped in 87 when I spent 5 weeks with a rental car road tripping.(very humorous read, about driving in Greece) Have fun!

Horsham,UK
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This will take you back...!

Very good, Johnnie. I have tried to keep a log/diary, but unfortunately the beer gets in the way of the words. The only one i finished successfully was when we wnt to Australia, but it's rather dry.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This will take you back...!

This is great Johnnie , I remember those days of 5 dollar a night accomodations,plus fifty cents for a shower on the islands . Now I almost have to mortgage the farm, to travel in Europe with the Euro.