We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel to Greece for the first time

Atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
How to travel to Greece for the first time

I am researching booking a June or July trip to Greece with my 24 yr old daughter and 18 yr old son. This will be our first trip to Greece and we are Greek! Anyway, I am trying to decide if we should take a cruise and get a little taste of many locations, or fly into Athens, stay a few days, then hit maybe 2 more islands for 2-3 days. What has anyone's experience been. I am thinking of taking about 12 days.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

I presonally think you should spend 4 days each, on two islands, and then 4 days in Athens! Save Athens for last so you dont have to worry about your flight back to the US.. Research a bunch of islands and pick your two favorite!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Same advice as Prime Image! Definitely go straight out to your 1st choice of island & see Athens last.

It would help to know if there were any other interests/preferences such as visiting historic sites, monasteries, scenery, beaches etc. Every island has something to offer.

To keep travel time down choose 2 islands within the same group, or at least with good ferry or flight connections.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Since it is the first time in Greece, should I consider a tour? Or just wing it on our own and maybe use VRBO for places to stay? Would you fly to the other islands or do ferries. I know for sure that Santorini would be one of the islands.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Greekdancer2,

It is SO easy to do it on your own, even for those of us without Greek ancestry. Go in June, rather than July, if you have a choice. What are your interests? Greek history? Beaches? Seeing where your relatives came from? Give us some hints! :o)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Yes, just get the flights booked to Athens (Iagree June is preferable), tell us your ideal holiday needs/wants/wishes & we can help from there!

Too difficult to make suggestions on islands without your help!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

I have to agree with the others- Greece is one of the easiest countries I've ever traveled in. You shouldn't have any problem with language barriers (seems like 99% of Greeks speak English fluently, the biggest decision is choosing where to go.....so many wonderful places....have fun planning. Also agree that June is a wonderful time to go!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Atlanta
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Thanks for all the advice so far. I definitely want to see Athens and all it has to offer. I also want to see the Dora Stratou dance group perform as I was a greek folkdance teacher at our church. My kids will want to see the classic greek sites, Acropolis, etc. Then beaches, hiking, just soaking in cultural flavor of the islands. I don't think I have the time this trip to see Limnos or Northern Greece where my Dad's family is from. I know we want to go to

Santorini. Maybe Mykynos for the second island? Any suggestions for places to stay and eat would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,191 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

You certainly have the time to go to Lemnos but it won't be the easiest thing to combine it with Santorini, unless you fly form Athens to Lemnos and then back to Athens and then fly or ferry to Santorini.

Make sure that the Mykonos/Santorini combo is YOUR choice and you are not chosing them because 90% of your fellow Americans do!

How about buying a guide book? You might find your dream destination in it! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Lemnos
Lemnos
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Santorini & Mykonos were the only islands I had ever heard of when we started planning our first trip to Greece. I'm so glad that I discovered there is so much more to Greece! You should stay in Santorini for a couple of days since it's your first trip- the views are incredible and everyone should get to see them at least once in their life, but the beaches are a little disappointing. Get a guide book and check out the islands- there are so many different ones to choose from and each one offers something different.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to travel to Greece for the first time

Hey and welcome greekdancer:-) Totally agree with June..and upon arrival in Athens, connect directly to a flight out to Santorini..saves loads of time backtracking/packing/unpacking, etc..IMO, I'd get a flight back to Athens and connect for Limnos..I think it's wonderful you're looking to 'connect' and should NOT miss the opportunity even if it's a short stay..isle flights are all quick and take approx 45 min wherever you're headed..take a look at www.olympicairlines.com/ www.aegeanairlines.com/ With your approx 12 day/night(?) itinerary..you can plan at least 4 nights at each isle..fly back to Athens from Limnos for your final 3/4 nights at which point you should be about ready to take in all this incredible City has to offer..also ensures your return flight back to the States! Happy planning and ENjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece