We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Website

Derby
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Website

Hi all,

The other day I stumbled accross a website where you answered questions about what you want out of a holiday and then it searches and suggests which of the Greek Islands would suite you best.

I can't seem to find the site now, does anyone know the address?

Thanks everyone.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Website

Hi Tracey

We can do the same here as well. Tell us what you want from a holiday, what time of year, how long for and the suggestions will come flooding in.

Everything here is suggested from personal experience by people who've visited these places many times so you could always give us a go!

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Website

tracey its monarchholidays.com ok

but remember they dont cover all only the holidays they make lots of money out of ,

normally the hotels arent that nice

thats the way they get rid of there holidays

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Website

i think it is monarchholidays.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Website

Hi Tracey,

They are only going to suggest places they do, that's how it works. IMO Cosmos who own Monarch holidays aren't the cheapest to go with and having had a couple of holidays with them their hotels weren't great either.

At least if you come on here and ask the same questions you'll get unbiased advice because we're not on commission to recommend anyone in particular or any island.

Mentioned in this post
Cosmos
Cosmos
1,017 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Derby
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Website

Thank you for the replies, but that wasn't the website. It was an independent webpage (not part of a holiday company) and it had a blue background, not that thats very helpful!

Thanks for the replies though. If anyone does have any suggestions, I would be grateful.

I want to go for the first 2 weeks in June with my partner of 8 years. I don't want to go to Corfu as been there before and would like to go somewhere new.

We like a chilled out day time, relaxing by the pool or on the beach but also like to be able to have a town to wander around and maybe go on a few day trips (organised or by ourselves, we're not bothered).

At night time we like good food, and quiet bars/tavernas. We do quite like a bit of entertainment if it's availble but we're not that bothered and we definately don't do nightclubs despite only being 23! (old before our time! lol)

The main thing is though, we don't want to spend too much so we need somewhere at the bottom end of the budget without being a hell hole.

Don't want much do we?!

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks

x

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Website

Hi again

There are a few places that spring to mind.

You could look at Rhodes - great beaches down it's south coast, a variety of resorts from busy and loud to downright laid back, stunning scenery, lots of ancient sites, great food and friendly locals. It's easy to get around the island and you could see most of the major sights inside a week.

Early June will still be relatively peaceful in most places so you could consider Pefkos, Lardos, Lindos, Stegna, Haraki, Afantou and Kolymbia. The last three are quite laid back and tranquil but still have bars and restaurants to while away the evenings. The others are a bit livelier but still no full on nightlife. Faliraki is the full on party town but even this has calmed right down from the images portrayed on the telly a few years ago and the nightlife is centred around a couple of streets so quite easy to avoid.

Kefalonia is another beautiful island - Skala is a pleasant resort, plenty to see and do, Lassi is more touristy but has two wonderful beaches and other great places to stay would include Assos, Katelios and Agia Efimia although the latter has a poor beach.

Mentioned in this post
Haraki
Haraki
133 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Assos
Assos
1,632 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Lardos
Lardos
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Stegna
Stegna
Rhodes, Greece
Faliraki
Faliraki
Rhodes, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Katelios
Katelios
Cephalonia, Greece
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
Kolymbia Beach Hotel
Kolymbia Beach Hotel
787 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Website

As usual I'd have to second GB's suggestions. I would say out of the list he's given you for Rhodes and taking into account your age. Look at Pefkos or Lindos, but that's just my suggestion

If you're looking at Kefalonia then again either resort GB has suggested is good, Lassi or Skala. You could also look at Katelios but it may be too quiet.

The other place possibly worth looking at is Kefalos in Kos or Lambi near Kos Town. GB knows the name of a nice place in Lambi if you like the sound of the resort if you look at it. The place I've stayed in Kefalos which was lovely is called Kontessa or Contessa and is available I think only through First Choice. They have fab sea views, nice pool and close to centre but in a quiet location.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Pefkos
Pefkos
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Lassi
Lassi
Cephalonia, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Katelios
Katelios
Cephalonia, Greece
Kefalos
Kefalos
Kos, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Contessa Hotel
Contessa Hotel
783 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Derby
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Website

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, I'm having a nightmare with my search. We can't seem to make our mind up and my partner is being less than helpful!

The thing is we always book our holidays independently but he has said that because of the financial climate at the moment, he thinks we should go with a tour operator package deal as we will have more financial security. However, I am shocked at the prices of these deals and know I could book it myself loads cheaper and get better accomodation/flights to boot!

He has also never been to any Greek Islands and is finding the whole thing a little daunting (he's a Spanish kinda guy!) I've told him, it's lovely, beautiful, full of culture etc etc. but he is still umming and ahhing over it.

Eh well, we'll find something I'm sure, I need book something soon, so I have some incentive to start my diet else I'll be a whale on the beach in greece!

Thanks again for the suggestions, I will consider them. (I'm loving Lindos from what I've seen but am a bit concerned about JUST how hilly it is, because everyone seems to moan about them!)

Thank you! Sorry for waffling on!

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Website

Hi again

Well, if I were you, find somewhere YOU like the look of, book it, then tell your other half where you're going!! He'll love Greece for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Website

Why don't you do like for like quotes for him then.

Cost it up as a package with accommodation you like the look of. Then do the same as DIY, making sure you factor in either cost of transfers or car hire. Present it to him showing him the saving you've made by doing it DIY then see whether he thinks saving that money is worth it. Of course if you're go9ing to do DIY make sure you pay by credit card.